Linley boring and machining

This is more like it:

Hardinge has a big manual with dimensions on all sorts of collets, many of which are make/machine specific.

A quick search for "Linley" didn't reveal anything obvious. But your collets look suspiciously close to the type used on a Brown & Sharpe screw machine. I'd do some careful measurements of your collets to see if you've got any matches in the Hardinge manual.

Screw machine collets are expensive new, but sometimes lots of used collets show up on eBay for dirt cheap if they're specific to an antiquated machine.
The B&S screw machine collets that I have seen look nothing like those shown in the pictures, B&S collets, such as the #11 and #21 are push collets, those pictured are pull collets, roughly similar to the "C" series.

These are the style I was talking about; this one happens to be a 22C, but there are other similar variants.

The tear-drop cutaway makes it look to me like you're dealing with screw machine collets.

(As @benmychree suggests, there are also a lot of B&S machines that use the push-style collets.)

Anyway, worth a look through the Hardinge catalog after you've pulled some measurements.

1595438964651.png

The reason that screw machines like the B&S use push type collets is that as pull type collets are tightened, they pull the stock back with them, and make it difficult to maintain accurate length of the projecting stock; push type collets do not do that, since, at least the B&S type, the collet does not itself move when tightened. Other types of push collets, such as those used in the Bardons & Oliver turret lathes and hand screw machined actually do push the stock out along with the moving collet, Warner Swasey collets also do that, so that it keeps the stock tight against the turret stop.

I contacted Hardinge. They have the original drawings and specs for the collet. Linley LB collet. They list them I think for $327 per collet.

I contacted Hardinge. They have the original drawings and specs for the collet. Linley LB collet. They list them I think for $327 per collet.
My guess is that you will not need many collets!

Back