LIGHTING YOUR LATHE WORK

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We all make do with what we have laying around more often than we care to admit. I had a drafting table style of lamp that needed a purpose & my lathe work needed illuminating. That lamp, of necessity has received new aluminum brackets along the way - just to keep me going. This cannot last & since mine is a combo, it is only half the solution at best. Please share your lighting solutions for your own setup (pics welcome)! Of coarse solutions to my dilemma will also be welcome :)

My current setup soon. Sorry, dealing with a sudden death in the community. So share: I need ideas!

I'll play. Here is my Jet 1024. The main light on that photography articulated arm is an automotive flood light. The overhead lamp is also an automotive flood light. Both are powered by a 30W switching power supply. Critique on this set up, I wish theae automotive LEDs were somewhere in the 4000K instead of the 6000K. The bright white LED just blinds me when directed straight to SS polished material. Good thing the main light is on an articulated arm, I can easily move position around.

20170302_003817.jpg

I use the pantograph style illuminated magnifiers with an 800 lumen LED bulb. I welded up new sockets from a short length of 1/4" black pipe and some flat stock to replace the ineffective original sockets. The LED bulbs give more than enough light and the magnifiers come in handy for detailed work.

I had not thought of using a magnifier style light RJ, GREAT idea (as my eyes are not what they used to be).

I still have 4' florescent lights over my machines and a smaller one on them. I'm thinking of getting a couple of the new ones to try .

I have 6 30W LED landscaping lights mounted to the ceiling joists. Two pointed at the lathe, two pointed at the mill, and two to be placed at a later date (I'm thinking drop-down gooseneck). 2700Lm per. I tried the 6000K lights, but the glare was intense. So those are now in the sewing room, and I have 3000K. China.com, $20 ea shipped.

I use this SnapOn LED worklight I got from Amazon. Thing's like having an airplane headlight over my lathe and it doesn't get hot. Slightly warm but nothing like a halogen.

I use a clamp on light.

Stupid photobucket stopped the transfer of photos.

Just a reminder that fluorescent lights strobe at 60 cycles per second and can make moving parts look like they are stopped.
When a moving part is turning at a speed in harmony with 60 cycles per second (or 3600 cycles per minute) then there is a risk of being fooled. For example, a four jaw chuck turning at 360 or 720 rpm etc. That's the reason I do not use fluorescent lights too close to my lathe.

Back