Liang Dei Ld 1216gh, Picked It Up Yesterday

Thank you for your response and have you thought about a vfd which would give you the ability to extend the rpm range. It could be quite extensive and add some torque with the right motor that would enable you to use the vfd functions to its capacity.
They are light machines but put together well. Take a look at the spindle wall, spindle and tailstock thickness, the consistent look of the castings and has a good reputation for user feel with positive engagements and disengagements which to me is almost like riding a motorcycle. It should stir the soul, It's not just about the specs.

Yes I have thought about VFD, and it is the obvious sensible solution to many things, I even have 3 ph on site. It just doesn't have soul, well that's the way I thought about. I would have to fit a 3 Ph motor but I don't think that would be very hard. Liang Dei even have a 2hp 3ph motor that's a bolt on fit, I could have ordered it that way, I just didn't think I'd need it. Obviously didn't think it out enough. I know it's crazy, here's me always telling people go bigger go better, and I broke my own rule. I need to find out more about VFD, will they work with any 3ph motor, how much increase and reduction in RPM can you get without damaging the motor, is there a loss of power, there must be a trade off some where?

Also if your worried about threading for now with the high spindle speed and running into a shoulder you could always turn your tool upside down, start from your undercut and run the spindle reverse with feed direction to your tailstock. Keeps your heart out of your throat!

Yes I have done that in the past where it's a problem. However if I take the easy route, and fit a 3ph motor and VFD, It appears to solve all problems.

ktm 950 adventure and a klr 650. Both set up well for Adventure Travel. Sold the ktm 950 adventure today so I have enough money to buy a lathe. Huge decision for me to be doing this. Did not want to borrow money so they had to go. I am a newbie to the forum and will properly introduce myself in a few hrs. Today is the day or me start a new path and chapter heading for retirement. I don't have the time right now with contractors at the house to properly introduce myself but will later as I want to give this forum the respect it deserves and collect my thoughts a bit. I always said when I am ready to buy a lathe I will tell my story and say hello. Really impressed with the mental approach to the forum.
All seem genuine and we can all learn from each other no matter what we think we know. Machining is such a vast undertaking one may know everything and yet nothing in another shop. Also Hobbyist are for real because it all come from within there keen sense of interest they may go beyond a paid employee and become true craftsman.
I am rambling on a Tangent and have to run but today is the day and I am bursting so you get the news firsts. I'll sit down later tonight and start my intro. Thanks for all your thoughts time be safe!

Thank you Paul,

It was about the best I could find available here in Australia. I was very limited in size especially the length. 300mm longer and it wouldn't fit.

But I like the 40mm bore, the geared headstock and full norton box for a full range of imperial and metric threads. imperial leadscrew, plus power cross feed., All hand-wheels have imperial and metric calibrated rings. What is not to like?

I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit heavier but its fairly solid, and it's only a hobby machine not for production work.

When I was in Oz I couldn't find a lathe I wanted to buy. This machine is really nice and is comparable in layout and spec to the Colchester line-up. Sure, it's a bit lighter and lower RPM but it has many of the same features like hardened ways, leadscrew and driveshaft, right apron handwheel, integrated locks on the tailstock etc. I have a nice Colchester Chipmaster and have come to really like those features. Does it have electric brake?

Paul.

In the end I agree three phase all the way with a vfd but that's just more money right now. Has the single phase motor been decent? I must say your machine has a nice chunky overbuilt look to it being so short. I would of thought but it does.

Getting close to purchase my lathe. I Have made my mind up. The Eisen 1236gh. Had an Electrician by and cut some trees down to make room for a shed to help make some room in the garage. I don't think there is a machine in this size with the quality it has for the price.

I am going with 3phase and a vfd. I will probably be a few weeks away from getting it here and then I'll take some time to go through it and I am going to start a thread on the purchase and if allowed I'll report my experiences with the lathe.

When I started to look a machines I thought of a budget about half of what I will be spending. Now I want it all. A full rounded shop. After doing it for a living and been spoiled with machinery it's a hard thing to look at the prices to make it possible. Ya it's a fairly small lathe but it is capable of doing good work within tolerance and more than anything it's to help build the shop with what I can make. Down the road I would love to find a Standard Modern.

Getting close to purchase my lathe. I Have made my mind up. The Eisen 1236gh. Had an Electrician by and cut some trees down to make room for a shed to help make some room in the garage. I don't think there is a machine in this size with the quality it has for the price.

I am going with 3phase and a vfd. I will probably be a few weeks away from getting it here and then I'll take some time to go through it and I am going to start a thread on the purchase and if allowed I'll report my experiences with the lathe.

When I started to look a machines I thought of a budget about half of what I will be spending. Now I want it all. A full rounded shop. After doing it for a living and been spoiled with machinery it's a hard thing to look at the prices to make it possible. Ya it's a fairly small lathe but it is capable of doing good work within tolerance and more than anything it's to help build the shop with what I can make. Down the road I would love to find a Standard Modern.

G'day Mark, The Eisen 1236gh looks exactly like my lathe only longer and it's a different colour. I'd be willing to bet that it's made in same factory. just as the PM's are, no doubt other brands also. They are all Liang Dei's with a different name plate. I studied the photo and specs for the Eisen 1236 and every little detail and every spec is identical to the Liang Dei.

I completely agree with your comment of doubling the budget, but that's the way it goes, I also agree with your comments of having worked in the industry, and been used to having all the big toys, it's hard to downsize a lot. I would have spent more if I had the room, I would have loved to get a longer machine, Yet in all honesty I can't think of anything I want to make that will not fit, lengthwise in the 1216. As it is now, everything, bandsaw, chain saws, drill press, except the lathe lives in the wood shed, which is nothing more than an open ended lean to for keeping firewood dry.

I'm not likely to ever be machining a long barrel for a rifle, the gun laws here have become so draconian that it just can't and won't happen. My only concern, and its purely academic, is the lowest speed of 70 rpm is a bit fast for some delicate screwcutting jobs, but as I'm making everything to my own design it's most likely to not ever be a problem.

I'll be very interested in your experiences as you unpack your new toy and start using it. Keep us posted. I'm sure you'll be happy with it and it's capabilities.

Bob, get an engine hoist. I never had one until a few months ago and I realize now that I should'a bought one a looong time ago.

Mate I would love an engine hoist, but like a lot of things, I just don't have room, even had to get rid of the bench lifter for my my motorbike, now I have to take it to the shop to get any work done, but that gives me time to use to the lathe, maybe.

If you look at the photo at the top of this post you'll see that's the bonnet, hood in your language, of my car butting up to the lathe and I can just get the garage door closed. So I have to move the car out to use the lathe.

Last edited:
Australia also did that and I think possibly some lathes from Japan. This model is available in left hand or right hand also available with metric or imperial leadscrew, as I ordered imperial leadscrew I automatically got RH saddle. Although it is set up for imperial threads it also has the 120 x 127 change wheels for cutting metric threads, and the full chart for both

You know there is a great advantage to having the hand wheel on the right side, you don't get so many hot chips on your hand, in fact hardly any, plus most of us are right handed, so it's just easier to use. If you've never driven a right handed lathe and it appears most folks in the US haven't then its hard to explain, But I have used both and definitely prefer right handed.

Good looking lathe, I like the hand wheel on the right , I've been burnt and cut to many times by them chips that jump in my hand when I'm not looking. All the other handles and levers are on the right. Good luck

Back