Liang Dei Ld 1216gh, Picked It Up Yesterday

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
DSCN7904.JPG

Well it has finally arrived. 2 1/2 months ago I ordered a new lathe. A Liang Dei LD 1216GH, Picked it up yesterday (Fri) morning and installed it in my garage. I'm now a very happy chappy. I've still got a bit of work cleaning it up, all the grease they put on before shipping. The lathe comes from Taiwan, and is very well spec'd, I hope it lives up to the spec's, if it does it will be a beauty, Gave it a short test run nice and quiet, all the gears change smoothly and easily.

View attachment 134700

Well it has finally arrived. 2 1/2 months ago I ordered a new lathe. A Liang Dei LD 1216GH, Picked it up yesterday (Fri) morning and installed it in my garage. I'm now a very happy chappy. I've still got a bit of work cleaning it up, all the grease they put on before shipping. The lathe comes from Taiwan, and is very well spec'd, I hope it lives up to the spec's, if it does it will be a beauty, Gave it a short test run nice and quiet, all the gears change smoothly and easily.

Did your lathe come with a 4 jaw chuck and a face plate. If now as soon as the budget will let you you will want to get at least a 4 jaw chuck.

Dave

View attachment 134700

Are you going to draw it up on cad now?

Did your lathe come with a 4 jaw chuck and a face plate. If now as soon as the budget will let you you will want to get at least a 4 jaw chuck.

Dave

Yes 6" 3 jaw, 8" 4 jaw, fixed and travelling steady, face plate, with driving dogs. Live and dead centers, 3-5 Mt sleeve, 13 mm drill chuck Quick change toolpost And I already have a small dividing table. The first project is to make a vertical spindle milling attachment, as I don't have room for a milling machine. I also have a few HSS tool bits from when I was an apprentice back in the 60's, but I want to get some new ones with carbide inserts.

Are you going to draw it up on cad now?

Not yet, I still haven't learned how to use the program, i'm hoping I can find a local trade school that will run a course in the new year.

A Taiwanese lathe with the carriage handwheel on the right hand side of the carriage? I thought the English were the only one's that did that.

A Taiwanese lathe with the carriage hand wheel on the right hand side of the carriage? I thought the English were the only one's that did that.

Australia also did that and I think possibly some lathes from Japan. This model is available in left hand or right hand also available with metric or imperial leadscrew, as I ordered imperial leadscrew I automatically got RH saddle. Although it is set up for imperial threads it also has the 120 x 127 change wheels for cutting metric threads, and the full chart for both

Thanks Franco, I hope it lives up to expectations.

Australia also did that and I think possibly some lathes from Japan. This model is available in left hand or right hand also available with metric or imperial leadscrew, as I ordered imperial leadscrew I automatically got RH saddle. Although it is set up for imperial threads it also has the 120 x 127 change wheels for cutting metric threads, and the full chart for both

Interestingly Ken, when you consider that the English invented the lathe and the whole industrial revolution thing, perhaps their design is the correct one.Then the Americans came along and decided to change everything, like driving on the wrong side of the road, refusing to use currency based on the British pound even changing the weights and measures. Now the whole world has gone metric and left you behind, Just kidding.

Back