Liang Dei Ld 1216gh, Picked It Up Yesterday

On closer inspection there are some minor differences. Your apron oiler is on the side and has a sight glass. Mine is from the top and no glass. Front plate on the quick change box is slightly different but oiler is in the same place. Gear head is obviously different. You also have additional electrical controls on the front panel. I'm looking to fit an e-stop to mine so I'm curious how they have wired it. Did you get a manual or even better a link to an online copy?

Mine is 33 years old and still feels nice.

G'day Oysta, whereabouts in Adelaide? I'm in Eden Hills near Blackwood.

I tried to look up the HAFCO AL350B, but couldn't find it listed on Hafco site. I guess at 30 plus years old it's no longer listed. What size is it? It looks to be in pretty good condition. Have you had it since new?

When I was looking to buy a lathe I looked at the Hafco range but couldn't find anything in the size I wanted that was not chinese. So I started looking elswhere and am very happy with what I have got, Just don't get to use it as much as I'd hoped.

Hi Bob,

I'm only a stone through away in Daw Pk.

There is no info on the AL350B anymore although it appears similar to the AL960B, only belt drive. Regarding size, its a 1224 or 1227 (depending if you look at the manual or brochure). Haven't had the chance to put in centres to measure which is correct. I haven't had it from new...it's only a couple years younger than me :). I'm the second owner.

Check out my welcome post, I've got more specs and info there as well as links to the original brochure and manual which I scanned.
I'll probably start a new thread in the Asian Lathes section for my machine.

Keep warm & dry.

Adam

Thanks Adam. Yes keeping warm and dry thanks to a wood burning combustion heater, heats the whole house.

Your lathe looks pretty good, and in good condition. I hope you are enjoying it. Do you have a machining background or is it purely just a hobby.

You are possibly quite right in thinking it is of Liang Dei manufacture, it certainly looks like it could be. Why don't you try to contact them directly. I'm sure they will answer your questions, and possibly supply spare parts.

Or you could contact Modern Tools in Melbourne, as far as I can tell they are the only agenst in Australia, I found them very helpful when I bought my lathe.

I trained as a fitter, turner & toolmaker way back in the early 1960's And have been retired for nearly ten years now.

Downunder Bob.

Last edited:
It's just a hobby for me Bob. I studied mechanical engineering and the last time I did any machining was during my studies so I'd class myself as novice. I studied at Mawson Lakes (formerly Levels) and their workshop had Hercus lathes if I remember correctly. They sold them off soon after and switched to teaching the theory only, what a shame. Machining in the workshop was the most enjoyable part of my course.

Back