[How do I?] Leveling A 10x22 Lathe Tailstock?

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
I have a 10x22 King Industrial lathe. I have been having fits trying to get home made reamers to cut an accurate blind hole, everything comes out substantially oversize! I suspected a chip had found it's way under the ear surface of the tailstock on top of the bed causing the quill to have a "downward " attitude. I disassembled everything and checked with a fine bench stone for high spots all appears to be good. the inside of the quill ( MT#3) seems to be good , I may have to get a #3 taper reamer to verify that there isn't a high spot on the inside. With the drill chuck installed on an adapter and a 3/4" chucking reamer ( 5/8") shank in the chuck, using a Starrett .001" dial indicator . I am getting aprox. .008" of deflection in a down direction over 7" of run , tailstock toward headstock? I have tried changing the orientation of the drill chuck and adapter to see if the angle changes with no improvement ! Help please.

Is the tailstock clamp (on the quill) tight? I don't know if it would make a difference, but it is a thought.

Yes everything is tight just as in operation. Perhaps I will measure the quill itself , it is possible that the tailstock base wasn't ground true?

With both of the lathes I have owned, and I'm sure with the new lathe I just purchased, I had to shim the tailstock, between the tailstock body and base, to get in on center in the vertical, and the clamping of the tailstock can make a difference in the vertical. I made this fixture to hold the indicator.

2015-09-07 13.32.0333.jpg

Chris

My lathe I bought new, after doing a little more measuring I am going to take the tailstock spindle and have a MT#3 finish reamer run into it. The outer barrel of the quill seems true so I am being led to believe it is either the #3 MT internally , the MT/JT adapter or the drill chuck itself causing the miss alignment issue.

If you take a dial indicator, as small a division unit as you have, and mount it with a mag base on the cross slide so the indicator reads the top of the tailstock quill. Take a reading with the quill retracted and then one with it extended. IF this reading is off then you know where your problem is. You can also do this on the side of the quill. Be sure you have it locked down and do not move it during the test.

Tailstock2.jpg Tailstock1.jpg

If the lathe is new then I would be referring this problem back to the dealer for correction

cheers Phil

Back