Lets talk vertical vs horizontal bandsaws

I have an old Delta horizontal/vertical metal bandsaw that is similar to the HF one. Not high dollar. Actually, it was given to me. A little tweaking and it works great. I've cut .032 4130 sheet and 6" 6061 barstock. Couldn't do without the old workhorse. Whatever you do, get good blades, they are well worth the investment.

Tom

Another vote for "both".

I have a jet 4x6 horizontal that gets used a lot, plus a Marvel 6x12 that gets used rarely.
If you need a slice off a chunk o5 4" steel round, the horizontal earns it's keep.

For a vertical, I bought one of the old Chinese 14" wood saws that have been around in all the brands for 20 years. I paid $120 for it in good shape. I had a common 60 rpm gearmotor laying around that was almost a direct swap for the OE motor (which is now on the Marvel). One new belt and an appropriate blade and I had a nice saw running at 110 fpm. Alternately I could have run a 3-phase motor and a VFD.

If I were limited to one, it would be the 4x6 asian saw, and I would buy one of the better brands - Jet or Enco perhaps.

Many of the horizontal band saws can be used in a vertical position also. But that is a compromise. You need both.

Look for used machines as well, I just scored a wells 8m horizontal for less than $600, $525 bucks plus a tank of gas to drive to ohio and pick it up. I see used saws on craigslist all the time. Check auctions as well. You should be able to get both saw for less than the price of a new one.:dunno:

Thanks for tips guys. I held off buying anything and just kept checking for used machines. I managed to pick up an Italian Macc Special 215 manual metal bandsaw. It is the older version of this:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/...manual-horizontal-band-saws-16216-765911.html

It had a broken handle which I am in the process of repairing and was just filthy in general. It is superb quality and for a saw with a capacity of 150mm round, it weighs a hefty 160 kg. I am going over everything now and cleaning it - straightening up some bent parts as I go. I still need to check the coolant pump but it seems like it is running.

I picked it up for $830 USD but given the fact that it is actually industrial quality, it retails for about 5 times what I paid when new. I tried it out cutting a 2" piece of mystery metal and on slow speed, it cut through it in about 30 - 40 seconds. I tried to explain to my wife how big of a deal that is but she does not seem to get it :dunno:

I'll put some pictures up when I get home.

Paul.

Here are the pictures of the saw. As you can see I need to either make or replace some handles. I also needed to straighten out the arm that holds the control box and repaint it.

saw2.JPG

saw1.JPG

So far I am really happy with the build quality as the main bearing has tapered roller bearings. The vice has a huge gib strip and it seems that it was built to make accurate cuts repeatably.

Paul.

saw2.JPG saw1.JPG

Back