Lets Get Basic- Drill Bits For Lathing

Di too on screw machine drill bits. Short, very stout, get a decent set and you'll be ready to drill

One thing I've noticed regarding the drill sets I own, is that the higher quality bits have tighter spiral flutes than the cheap bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is tighter spiral flutes more desirable?

I don't know why, Swerdk. I suppose it is possible they are more rigid. It is just an observation that cheap drill bits I've gotten tend to have fewer spirals turns.

I've tried a lot of brands including HF. I have to say that the set I got from HF on sale only had about 12 bits of the set that were actually true (wobble or tip was mis-ground). They will be used for the grandchild to kill some toys or something....

I like Hertel, Triumph and Precision - Screw Machine are the best for their rigidity, plus they provide more clearance on smaller machines. I use Enco, Reno, NV when I get their sales with 20% off + free shipping. They also have excellent Cust. Serv. for returns.

TIP: No matter what brand you buy, I highly suggest that you "spin and touch" each and every one lightly in something (wood, aluminum) to check for true and a correctly ground tip. If it's good, you won't feel or see any movement w/equal chips. I only used one or two some years ago and didn't come across the bad ones until it was to late to return them (not to Enco, but another supplier).

On a bit with a finer pitch spiral, the cutting edge will have more rake.

Thank you for suggestions

I have migrated over to using stubby split point cobalt. And I have noticed major improvements in true position, life and an increase in feed rate. Of course if the hole needs to be deeper I change to a standard length drill bit. Sometimes now, I don’t even start with a center drill…Dave.

Coincidentally, I recently received a set of 9/16" to 1" bits from Drill Hog on ebay. I had various large bits that I had bought used that were name brands. I found the ones I just received to be comparable in tolerance and "feel". They say they are made in the USA.

Honestly I was a bit apprehensive due to the fact that the set only cost $60.00. To be fair I have only really used the 7/8" one more than once on my lathe. But I have found them accurate and sharp. They come in a Huot metal case and are guaranteed for life.

DISCLAIMER: Absolutely no connection outside of buying them and really enjoying having such a cool looking set of large drill bits.

Coincidentally, I recently received a set of 9/16" to 1" bits from Drill Hog on ebay. I had various large bits that I had bought used that were name brands. I found the ones I just received to be comparable in tolerance and "feel". They say they are made in the USA.

Honestly I was a bit apprehensive due to the fact that the set only cost $60.00. To be fair I have only really used the 7/8" one more than once on my lathe. But I have found them accurate and sharp. They come in a Huot metal case and are guaranteed for life.

DISCLAIMER: Absolutely no connection outside of buying them and really enjoying having such a cool looking set of large drill bits.

I have the same Drill Hog set, along with the 'full set' they offer. I too have found them to be quite accurate and very sharp. They claim Made in USA but I have no proof of this other than the observed quality. I have bought a few 'made in USA' things of late that were very disappointing (Aloris was one).

I even managed to snap a small drill bit while doing some deep drilling. When contacted, they promptly replaced the bit, offered some advise, and even shipped me a trial size of their recommended lube. Pretty good customer service. :)

Back