LED Ring

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone tried an LED ring for the mill? Looks kind of interesting.

Yes, I have one on my PM935 at home and BP at work. It's a good tool and I rarely have to use supplemental light. When I do I just use a flashlight. I think the amount of space it saves is well worth it. If you're using it in addition to a work light, well i think you can't go wrong.

I have one on my mill and really like it. Had a senior moment when I was first ordering them--measured the spindle and not the spindle housing:eek 2: so ordered some 100mm that didn't work, ended up with 120mm.
So if someone could use a 100mm they could have it for postage.

Yes, I bought an automotive "angel eye" light for my mill, because it came with a voltage and current regulator (being for automotive use, it needs this) for, like $3 extra. So all I needed was a 12volt wall wart with enough amps to run it and the regulator takes care of the rest. Great light for general use, blocked by a large face mill or something, but useful most of the time. I reinforced the soldered wire connection with a generous amount of hot glue and put the wiring in protective wire wrap. It's held up fine.

I went with a slightly larger "angel eye" so it fits recessed around the outside of the spindle. A larger diameter will be less likely to get shadows from your chuck. I also use a 24" LED light bar in the back of the knee mill (I used a rectangular LED garden light on my bench mill). The combination minimizes shadows and is a lot less obstructive than traditional arm lights, and at a fraction of the cost. The low voltage power supply is tied to the machine power switch.
20161121_140637.jpg 20161121_140446.jpg
20161121_162102.jpg

20161121_163600.jpg

Back