Leather flat belt reconditioning...

n9viw

Registered
Registered
... or not.

Do not attempt to resurrect a flat leather drive belt by placing it in a pan of warm oil.

That is all.

Attachments

• 20240203_124727.jpg
    20240203_124727.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 30
Why did you try that method, was it advised somewhere?

... or not.

Do not attempt to resurrect a flat leather drive belt by placing it in a pan of warm oil.

That is all.
I would goto leather store and buy new one.
On new belt let hang with about 20 to 30 pounds per inch of whith for at less 15 days 30 days is better.

Dave

McMaster sells leather belting and leather/nylon laminated belts that don't stretch.

Why did you try that method, was it advised somewhere?
No, I'm just a moron. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I should have taken a block of tallow and rubbed it down, might have lasted a bit longer. It was already stretched and cracked, so no huge loss if I buggered it up, I'm not sure how much longer it would have held anyway.
I would goto leather store and buy new one.
On new belt let hang with about 20 to 30 pounds per inch of whith for at less 15 days 30 days is better.

Dave
I could, but the leather store is 60 miles from here, and I'd still have to stitch it as I don't have a gator seamer.

McMaster sells leather belting and leather/nylon laminated belts that don't stretch.
There's also that guy on the bay who sells lengths up to 70", precut and terminated to your length, or unterminated and full length, as your choice.

Being the cheapskate I am, I used a length of old 1" wide ratchet strap and gave it a double row blanket stitch at the ends with about 6" of overlap. Worked like a charm. I tried melting it to itself, but it was too stiff.

Easier to dump in a bucket of neatsfoot oil for a few days and allow it to soak up to help bring back some pliability. does not always work though..

Anything like steam, hot water or hot oil it causes leather to shrink. It's an old hatters trick to steam leather hat bands to make them slightly smaller, thus tighter around the head and a shoemakers trick to retighten stretched leather of footwear. (Grandparents were in the boot and shoe trade and taught me a few tricks whilst also passing on some knowledge, most of which I have now forgotten!)

... or not.

That is all.
I have to admit, I thought it would work too. Oil is good for everything in the shop, and anti-seize, right?

Back