[Antique] Least favorite part of rebuild/restoration

My least favorite part is parting with my money for the machine, parts, and supplies. The rest of the process is all pleasure. ;)

I found that the least favorite part of doing the project is getting the gumption. Once I finally get the gumption, then it turns out that it's not so bad, even fun.

I have the opposite problem. I want to start on the next thing right away, and I have to force myself to stay on task.
-James Huston

I guess as I think about it....it's all gravy. I enjoy all of my machines just because I put so much time and effort to get them to the point they are now. There's a special kind of satisfaction that goes along with using the old machines that others would have scrapped.

I guess as I think about it....it's all gravy. I enjoy all of my machines just because I put so much time and effort to get them to the point they are now. There's a special kind of satisfaction that goes along with using the old machines that others would have scrapped.

Nothing like a little machine salvation!

The filler found on older machines comes in two flavors- either crumbling off at the slightest touch or absolutely welded in place and indivisible from the casting. Only problem is, you usually run into both on the same machine.
I'll confess that I'm prone to buying the machine I want and figuring out the issues later, rather than waiting to find a machine in good shape; it drives my wife nuts, but it generally works out fine in the end. I've often wound up with a machine because it was historically important ( I collect Porter Cable machines) or I felt sorry for it, only to find it become indispensable in my shop.
-James Huston
Collect porter cable machine?

We have a 7. Inch shaper to tinker with.

Looking for cabinet door in cast iron if they were that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

TQ60, I wish I could help, but Porter Cable shapers are very uncommon (I've been looking for one for years , myself. I'd give my eyeteeth to park one next to my lathe). The design was sold to Logan, so there may be some compatibility. Got any photos?
As far as I know, the side door was cast iron.
-James Huston

I don't have time for restoration(wish I did) but do have time for repair. I hate like has been said the nasty surprises and have been lucky to weasel my way out of them(so far). It is a crap shoot and I feel like I'm committed once started as I can't seem to sell anything and couldn't look someone in the eye and not tell them it's problems and that's why I'm turning it. So I don't bother.

In writing this it dawned on me my machine tools are like my old cars when I was young and frugal. I always had a use in mind, was limited in what I wanted to spend in up front ,total cost and repair time and was more interested in it working good and being reliable. What I keep running into is the silliness of the previous owners. The guys who think a slopped on coat of paint is a restoration and over adjusting and then messing up things. I feel like some kind of forensic detective as I ponder "what WERE they thinking when they did this?" I do feel like I know the machine better and I would take a ugly good working machine over a poorly working showpiece.

I've seen my fair share of hack job over the years as a power tool repairman, C-Bag, and I couldn't agree with you more. What kills me is when you find a problem, usually caused by lack of lubrication/basic maintenance, that some former owner cobbled together, and the correct fix turns out to be simpler than the " repair" they came up with.
-James Huston

I guess you are right James. Like if the nutbar would have known what they were doing they wouldn't have over tightened the gib on the cutter head on the 7b and galled/bent the gib. Maybe some oil would have helped, who knows. Who knows why they decided it was a good idea to put an extra mangled shim on one side of the ram? And on and on. Folks rant about Chinese machine tools and how they knockoffs and are kits, but I've not had any easier time fixing my antique 7b than ironing out all the sloppy problems with my 9x20 or RF30. All suffer from marginal design decisions, marginal workmanship and less than expert "repairs". I get it comes with the territory when I am buying for a fraction of original cost so it goes into what I call a windage factor. But it's still not my favorite. I have yet to invest in a supposedly good machine partly because space, partly because of cost and the idea what I'm doing as a hobby guy doesn't warrant it. But also because I'm afraid I'd get one of these dream machines and STILL have to fix it :)

Back