[Antique] Least favorite part of rebuild/restoration

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am in the process of rebuilding (vs. restoring) a 1901 Lodge and Shipley 18" x 72" lathe (on-going thread on antique and vintage machinery section). My rebuild is an almost complete tear down and steam clean of the whole lathe.

With all that said, Holy dogcrap Batman, what did we step in: lead-screw was a NIGHTMARE to clean up and remove rust. So far, the most tedious and time consuming step in the rebuild. After removing 116 years of dirt, hardened grease, swarf, and God know what else, the lead screw is actually in pretty good condition. Hours of tedious, meticulous effort with a mechanic's pic, wire brush, and tons of elbow grease.

What is your biggest "PITA" when rebuilding a machine?

Stripping paint. I've built up a pretty respectable shop from used machinery ( 35 stationary machines , the newest from 1961, the oldest from about 1890 or so), all of which was completely dismantled/repaired/restored. Some machines were in wonderful shape, and some were absolutely terrible but hands down, the most obnoxious part for me is always the paint removal. I actually enjoy every other aspect of restoration work.
-James Huston

You really do a complete restore not like some who slop paint everywhere and it can be seen ten miles away . They advertise its totally restored and painted. You my friend earn the right to say it. I'd rather have a clean machine then a sloppy painted ones . Good work shows thru when it's done right. I see some machine dealers who wash dry and slop paint and I cringe at the thought of the poor sucker who buys from them. Be happy with all you do it shows in the end.

Silverbullet, I could not agree more (about the fly-by-night machine sales places), and thank you for the comment! I am going through each component, and correcting things that need attention. I was able to purchase a "parts" machine that I have been picking and choosing the best condition parts for the rebuild. Apron is now complete, with little backlash in the gear train. All clutches work as designed and intended. Lead screw and half-nuts are ready to go. cross slide is completely gone through. Compound is also completely gone through. Only thing left is the headstock and screw gears. While she won't be as "tight" as a newer one, she will be plenty good for what I will use her for. Additionally, I am actually enthralled with the fact that the old girl was "birthed" in 1901. will be cool to run her in the shop.

I guess I was whining about the time I put into the leadscrew.........OMG, but she is clean and ready to go now.....

Last edited:
I think it comes down to what part of the experience you want to enjoy; I know a lot of people that will buy an older machine, do what is necessary mechanically and put it right back to work. These people often need the machine to make money, but some guys don't mind faded paint or a bit of rust if it isn't harming anything. For my part, I can't stand using a machine that isn't clean and as close to its original state as I can make it; I'm too much of a mechanic to overlook that sort of thing. Besides, I enjoy the process leading up to having a working machine, and I'm a lot more comfortable using a machine I've personally had completely apart. That way, I know what the limitations are and what the machine really is capable of,and I know that nothing has been cobbled together and is on the verge of self destructing. I get every bit as much satisfaction restoring a machine as using it, so I'm a little out of the norm, I suppose.
As for your Large and Shapely, it's been my experience an older machine that's been restored will work harder for you, because it knows you care. That is going to be one fine old lady when it's finished.
Also, leadscrews are miserable to clean up, even when they aren't 116 years old!
-James Huston

I like fixing old machines. I won't say rebuilding because I don't address bed and saddle wear. I don't like repainting them but I do if the machine has rust, peeling paint, or has been painted in clown colors. If it's just faded it gives it character, IMHO. There have been times when I've had a machine all apart with everything degreased and thought, this would be a perfect time to paint it. But I like them better with the factory coating and a nice sheen of oil. I use a small angle grinder with a knotted wire brush to clean lead screws. Cuts down on the elbow grease and cleans them up like new. I just got done with my least favorite job....cleaning inside the motor pedestal on my Hendey. I promise you it hasn't been clean since 1942.

I like fixing old machines. I won't say rebuilding because I don't address bed and saddle wear. I don't like repainting them but I do if the machine has rust, peeling paint, or has been painted in clown colors. If it's just faded it gives it character, IMHO. There have been times when I've had a machine all apart with everything degreased and thought, this would be a perfect time to paint it. But I like them better with the factory coating and a nice sheen of oil. I use a small angle grinder with a knotted wire brush to clean lead screws. Cuts down on the elbow grease and cleans them up like new. I just got done with my least favorite job....cleaning inside the motor pedestal on my Hendey. I promise you it hasn't been clean since 1942.
Chuck, thanks for the suggestion. I have been using a 4" knotted wheel on paint and rust removal, however, when I started using it on the lead screw, it was not getting down into the root of the thread, AND it seemed to be "cutting" the leading edges of the thread faces. Needless to say, I stopped using it. Went to the old fashioned, loosen everything up with the mechanic's pic, and then used a stainless steel tooth brush. Laborious, yes. Effective, absolutely. Would I do it again? Hopefully NOT! 6' of Acme threads was a loooooooooooong way! LOL.

Back