Learning more each day.

1965fb

Registered
Registered
So I won an auction for some 1/2 bore slitting blades and had to make an arbor. Better execution than fly cutter am learning bit by bit an have to say I am having a good time. Yes I want bigger better machines but to master these first I will be the better for it I guess..also made adjustable tool height guage should make things easier.
I don't mind working late now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

20170208_180434.jpg

To me, the joy of machining is much more about the process than about the results, though we all like to see good results. The size of the machine only relates to the size of the parts it makes, not to the education we are getting or the pleasure we get from doing a good job. Don't fall in a trap of buying bigger machines than you need because they are "better" or "more real and manly." That is BS. Hobby machining is about fun and satisfaction and learning and accomplishing. Once you know how to do it you can do it on any size machine after a bit of getting used to it. Never been there, but it is likely just as difficult for someone who runs really big machines to transition to a mini machine as it is the other way around.

To me, the joy of machining is much more about the process than about the results, though we all like to see good results. The size of the machine only relates to the size of the parts it makes, not to the education we are getting or the pleasure we get from doing a good job. Don't fall in a trap of buying bigger machines than you need because they are "better" or "more real and manly." That is BS. Hobby machining is about fun and satisfaction and learning and accomplishing. Once you know how to do it you can do it on any size machine after a bit of getting used to it. Never been there, but it is likely just as difficult for someone who runs really big machines to transition to a mini machine as it is the other way around.
I full well agree with all that you said.I will add that my desire mostly stems from wanting just a bit more modern lathe and have some future plans that would be a bit easier on a unit with some size.. tho the old sb has so far given me great joy and an ability I did not have a month ago. and for that I am very grateful. and the mini mill well it works.lol

There are some beautiful small lathes out there, particularly European ones, like the EMCO (not Enco) lathes that Mikey and others have. They are precision machines and do good work. There are also some spectacular watchmaker's lathes.
For instance, look at the Rivett 608:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/page2.html
I have two formerly working machinist friends who have 608's at home.

Well said, Bob, very well said.

I am still a fan of bigger than you think you need. It is much easier to do small work on a large machine instead trying to figure out how to shoehorn a big job onto a too small machine.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic

I full well agree with all that you said.I will add that my desire mostly stems from wanting just a bit more modern lathe and have some future plans that would be a bit easier on a unit with some size.. tho the old sb has so far given me great joy and an ability I did not have a month ago. and for that I am very grateful. and the mini mill well it works.lol

The cost of tooling also has to be factored in to the decision.
Unless a first 'learner' lathe comes with a bunch of tooling, you might need to buy some tooling to continue learning that won't fit on your next lathe. So if you already have a mind to trade up I say don't wait too long. It is just as easy to learn on a bigger/different lathe.

The cost of tooling also has to be factored in to the decision.
Unless a first 'learner' lathe comes with a bunch of tooling, you might need to buy some tooling to continue learning that won't fit on your next lathe. So if you already have a mind to trade up I say don't wait too long. It is just as easy to learn on a bigger/different lathe.
Yes I already feel the pain of tooling seems to be the big bill in all of this hobby, The sb9 is a good lathe bit small but for now worth its weight in gold.
but I see a day that I will want and need to have a larger more powerful brother in the shop.

I am still a fan of bigger than you think you need. It is much easier to do small work on a large machine instead trying to figure out how to shoehorn a big job onto a too small machine.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic
toolaholic lol no kidding, Addiction is a tough road to follow.

Back