Leaning towards a PM-1030V as a first lathe, check my logic?

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped. Because of the size/weight (vs. the pm-1030), I need to get the garage even more finished since moving them won't be much of an option once they're in place, so it'll be 6-8 weeks before I'm ready, but I'm ok with that knowing they're mine. My aunt just said before the snow flies would be best...

On the lathe, to me it looks almost exactly like a G4003 from Grizzly but without the the gear shift levers in the head, instead speed changes require moving the belt on the pulleys. That'd be great in terms have have part availability and seems like an ideal size for a home shop.

And the Clausing lathe seems to look an 8520 or similar. Again, very nice for a first mill in a home shop.

Am I on track with that assessment?

Last edited:
WOW Nice Score!!!
Don't worry about the lathe being made in China. Enco machines from that era should be fine if they were well cared for, which sounds like the case.
Take everything!!!

Well that's one hell of a score!!!!! That's really awesome!!!! Looks like your all set and can use the money you were going to spend on tooling!!! First things first get a dro for the mill!!!

Hi Dhal,

Welcome to H-M. I’m glad that you find this thread useful in the pursuit of your first lathe. I know when I was in your shoes, I soaked up everything I could find on the subject. It’s actually a pretty exciting endeavor.

May I suggest that rather than relying on the chance rebirth of old threads such as this one for pertinent info, that you use the forum search feature? For instance, a quick search for “PM-1030V” turned up 6 pages of past posts that you may be interested in, including this thread. Hope this hint helps you find info in a more timely manner in the future. H-M holds a ton of useful info for just about anything related to hobby machining and then some. Again, welcome to H-M and enjoy the heck out of whatever lathe you finally land on.

Tom

Just be sure if you're searching old threads, that you don't get too excited and reply without checking the date! :p

Last edited:
Just be sure if you're searching old threads, that you don't get too excited and reply without checking the date! :p

So what would be the time frame where one could no longer reply to a thread?

My point is that I have seen many threads resurrected and new information is added that may not have been available when the thread originated.

The irony here being that we’re all responding on this old thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back