1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Leaning towards a PM-1030V as a first lathe, check my logic?

Discussion in 'PRECISION-MATTHEWS' started by jung4g, Aug 22, 2017.

1. jung4g

jung4g United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Minneapolis
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped. Because of the size/weight (vs. the pm-1030), I need to get the garage even more finished since moving them won't be much of an option once they're in place, so it'll be 6-8 weeks before I'm ready, but I'm ok with that knowing they're mine. My aunt just said before the snow flies would be best...

On the lathe, to me it looks almost exactly like a G4003 from Grizzly but without the the gear shift levers in the head, instead speed changes require moving the belt on the pulleys. That'd be great in terms have have part availability and seems like an ideal size for a home shop.

And the Clausing lathe seems to look an 8520 or similar. Again, very nice for a first mill in a home shop.

Am I on track with that assessment?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Eddyde

Eddyde Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

WOW Nice Score!!!
    Don't worry about the lathe being made in China. Enco machines from that era should be fine if they were well cared for, which sounds like the case.
    Take everything!!!

3. killswitch505

killswitch505 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Hobbs
    State:
    New Mexico

-Return to Top-

Well that's one hell of a score!!!!! That's really awesome!!!! Looks like your all set and can use the money you were going to spend on tooling!!! First things first get a dro for the mill!!!