Leaning Toward Purchase of PM-932M or Grizzly G0761

cjones6108

Registered
Registered
I've been primarily woodworking for the last 30 years or so, between real jobs and such (I'm a retired software and database developer, with some electronics background thrown in), and last year I purchased a Bolton BP240V variable speed lathe/mill machine. I have come to regret that purchase. I believe the lathe is basically OK (emphasis on basic), but the mill head bolted on as an afterthought is a PO_ (you can fill in the blank). I'm now considering one of these two machines for milling, possibly with the idea of converting it to CNC at some point.

Does anyone know, are these machines manufactured in the same factory? They look so close I can't help but think they must be. Regardless, anyone have thoughts or experience with either of these they care to share? I should have known better that to buy the Bolton machine - I have no one to blame but myself. But that's another story...

Chinese machines are built to similar designs, but often by completely separate companies using different supply chains. Here, we try to make a better mouse trap to attract customers. In China, they try to make the same equipment for a better profit. So, if you squint they are the same, if you try to swap parts you will find differences, often just enough that they will not fit each other. Quality varies, as does cost, import middlemen demand lower and lower pricing and the manufacturers comply. We get what was asked for, a cheap lathe.

I have no experience with 3 in 1 lathe/mills, but just about everyone who gets one is soon dissatisfied with them. From reading the specs and seeing the configurations, I think I can understand why.

Based solely upon my experience with my PM 26 mill, and working with Matt on it, I'd recommend the PM932. Matt has worked with the manufacturer to have is his own specifications adapted to the base model of the machines. My evaluation is that you can either buy the base model, which may or may not be an accurate copy of something else, or buy a PM model, spec'd the way a tool maker would do it.

I'm looking at the purchase of a pm940 mill in the next 2-3 months, the mill would be converted to cnc. If cnc is something you are looking for, this will change the equation a bit for you. I do not know about the grizzly, but the pm940 specifically can be ordered with hardened ways which will substantially lengthen the life span of the machine over the stock ways. Things like this might be the detail that will help you make a better informed decision.

On this forum there is s category just for cnc machines and guys who have converted theirs, it's worth looking thru, it gives a good idea of what you will be doing and what you may come up against.

Hth
Rich

Back