Lead screw mods.

What about some sort of magnet arrangement holding the end of the leadscrew to the bed, and in the event of a crash, it just slides away, and nothing breaks.

Terry

What about some sort of magnet arrangement holding the end of the leadscrew to the bed, and in the event of a crash, it just slides away, and nothing breaks.

Terry

That should work as well with a stout enough magnet to keep it in place.

Just remembered I found a strange thing when rebuilding my 10f, I now wonder if this is a plate let in to repair damage after a non original LS bearing had broken loose.

I look a pic at the time meaning to ask about it but never did, I may now be forced to take it off to have a looksee behind it....watch this space :biggrin:

DSCF7623.JPG

Bernard

DSCF7623.JPG

Just remembered I found a strange thing when rebuilding my 10f, I now wonder if this is a plate let in to repair damage after a non original LS bearing had broken loose.

I look a pic at the time meaning to ask about it but never did, I may now be forced to take it off to have a looksee behind it....watch this space

Bernard

Well I have never seen that before! Has to be a repair. No reason for it to be there.
Pierre

Not a bad idea if you were going to build a bearing from scratch. Modern rare earth magnets can generate a tremendous amount of force. A couple of 1/2" diameter ones face-to-face could probably form a 100+lb bond. Several sets could be used to make a breakaway coupling. Not sure what amount of force would keep you "safe" without causing a breakaway during normal operations. I would think 300lb would be plenty, but that's just a wild guess.

You can modify your leadscrew so that you can use a shear pin. In Projects In Metal Vol 1 there is an article on how to cut the leadscrew, slip a coupler ie pipe, pin one side of the coupler and shear pin on the other half. I did this years ago so...Pierre

Pierre,
Are you talking about PIM books? I've looked at all my PIM Vol. 1 magazines with no luck finding this article. I'm another
"visual learner", i.e, could use some help here...
Thanks!
Harry

It is actually in the "Metalworking Book One The best of Projects in Metal" Pg 20 called Lathe Shear Pin Modification by Richard Torgerson. It is from the year 1988 to 89 of Projects in Metal magazine.
Pierre

Back