Lead screw bearing/support for Atlas V36 lathe 6 inch

Geshka

Registered
Registered
Hello fellow machinists.

I have Atlas V36 lathe with broken leadscrew bearing on right hand side. Previous owner made some fixture out of big door hinge (!!!). It works but looks terrible and feels wobly.

Looking for measurements or dimensions or drawings for leadscrew support on 6 inch Atlas v36 lathe. Specifically I am interested in two critical measurements: distance away and distance down for shaft bore center line from mounting surface. Plan is to 3d print it first and than to cast it from aluminum or brass

Thanks a lot.

I measured 1.165" from the center of the shaft to the bottom of the ways and .432" from the centerline to the mounting surface of the bearing. To the top of the ways, add another .442" My lathe is an Atlas/Craftsman 6" and the measurements may differ for yours.

You can get a good measurement by bringing the carriage as close as possible and closing the half nuts. Make your mounting holes oversized for vertical adjustment and you can use shims if necessary for horizontal adjustment. You should bring the carriage as close as possible and lock the half nuts for final alignment.

Thanks a lot. I will build 3D model based on your numbers and verify with my actual measurements. Thanks again

First, the Atlas V36 is a 10" lathe, 18" between centers. Not a 6" either in Britain or the US.

The part number for the right leadscrew bearing for the 10F is 10F-16. This is still available from Clausing so we do not have the original drawing. However, there is a reverse-engineered drawing in Downloads which is most likely correct. Go to the Atlas lathe drawing sub-directory, click the Sort button, and look for Atlas 10F-16.

Note that access to Downloads requires Donor status. Minimum of $10 for one year.

Back