Lathe Test Bar Storage?

No attitude at all, I try to convey a concept in as few words as possible in order to avoid confusion.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is likely a duck.

Be nice guys! We hate to lock this thread. Everyone has their own thoughts here for test bars. Let's keep it that way!

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is likely a duck.
This will get me tossed from this forum I believe, so be it. EVERY PART TURNED IS A TEST BAR , if the part is small at one end and big at the other adjust the machine or your tooling choices.

A. Duck

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I am not understanding the concept of the test bar thing...

Unless the test bar allows a user to preform static indications for finding the tapper

Then I would ask, is there a difference, chuck up a chunk of round bar, cut measure and adjust if necessary, repeat until true?

Yep,
That's kinda where I was going.
Thinking I might bore out a clear 4x4.

Daryl
MN
WreckWreck,
I respect your perspective.

Moderators,
Please don't bounce him....

While I wouldn't have purchased it, I'm glad I've got the test bar.

Daryl
MN
Just make a dry pine box, one side opens, ring to hang it out of the way.....BLJHB.

As to this hanging a test bar up like clothes on a clothes line... I have heard the same bit regarding the storing of cranks.. However I have never seen a before and after measured example... that validates the THEORY, coin toss.

I was doing a two collar test on my new lathe yesterday.
I'd already leveled her in plane.
Before I began the two collar test I thought I'd do a tailstock coarse adjust with a mandrel and a .0005 dial indicator.
I had a bucket of large mandrels that I've been pushing around the shop for a year (got'em at scrap value).
I'd sorted out the little ones already for a machine job this past summer.
Remaining were .75-2inch.
I found a really long one and rolled it on the surface plate to check cylindricity (qualitative).
Checked out nicely.
At this point I noticed that this ~1.25inch mandrel was about 18inch long.
Really long for a mandrel, or at least the ones I've used.
On closer inspection it was stamped "Test Bar" on the end.

SCORE!!

Question:
Yes, I need to find better storage for all of them....
Does anyone know if test bars (and mandrels) have "airy" points like straight edges?
Or, should the entire bar be supported?

I've hung my camel-back straight edges and horizontal arbors vertically.

Daryl
MN
Does your test bar have a taper to fit the spindle taper on your lathe?

Back