Lathe Test Bar Storage?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was doing a two collar test on my new lathe yesterday.
I'd already leveled her in plane.
Before I began the two collar test I thought I'd do a tailstock coarse adjust with a mandrel and a .0005 dial indicator.
I had a bucket of large mandrels that I've been pushing around the shop for a year (got'em at scrap value).
I'd sorted out the little ones already for a machine job this past summer.
Remaining were .75-2inch.
I found a really long one and rolled it on the surface plate to check cylindricity (qualitative).
Checked out nicely.
At this point I noticed that this ~1.25inch mandrel was about 18inch long.
Really long for a mandrel, or at least the ones I've used.
On closer inspection it was stamped "Test Bar" on the end.

SCORE!!

Question:
Yes, I need to find better storage for all of them....
Does anyone know if test bars (and mandrels) have "airy" points like straight edges?
Or, should the entire bar be supported?

I've hung my camel-back straight edges and horizontal arbors vertically.

Daryl
MN

i was told hanging is best method to prevent sag or warpage

Yep,
That's kinda where I was going.
Thinking I might bore out a clear 4x4.

Daryl
MN

I would wrap a piece of tool wrap around the test bar before putting in that hole. Maybe even go to the trouble to coat the ID of the wood block with a sealing wax. Minwax maybe? Not doing so could get rust on your test bar. Any chance of another test bar in you collection of mandrels? Ken

Edit: not tool wrap but VIC paper, I think that'd the correct abbreviation for it.

Any chance of another test bar in you collection of mandrels? Edit: not tool wrap but VIC paper, I think that'd the correct abbreviation for it.

4gsr,
As I'm not excited about drilling a hole in the end of the test bar ;), I thought I'd make a box and hang the box. Coating the inside or sourcing VIC is a good idea. These "mandrels" looked pretty rough when I scored them. Rusty and dirty. They all cleaned up very nicely. Only a few with some pitting. This is the only really long one. I'll hope to check to see if anything else is stamped this weekend. This sure made dialing in the new lathe faster than a two collar test!

Thank you,
Daryl

i admit it's a bit low tech,
but a hunk of good cord , a clove hitch with two half hitches and you have a hanging arrangement that actually gets tighter as weight is applied
another simpler knot called a lark's head will do the same thing, as long as there is weight pulling on the knot , it will hold.
maybe even some high test fishing line could be employed for a floating visual effect ...:)

Last edited:
I work in a shop which currently has 5 lathes, we store test bars by not having any. I fail to see the utility of such a device as the work will be the test bar and account for all tool, part and machine flex in use. If however all of your work is turned in 1 pass this is not an option.

I work in a shop which currently has 5 lathes, we store test bars by not having any. I fail to see the utility of such a device as the work will be the test bar and account for all tool, part and machine flex in use. If however all of your work is turned in 1 pass this is not an option.
Why always with the attitude?

Back