Lathe support frame and tray project.

If you are just concerned about it tipping over backwards (away from the operator) then maybe just a strap and levelers that nearly touch the floor. Just so it can't tip over.

If you find that the lathe could be a little taller for you then some SST to bolt to the legs would serve both purposes. Widen and raise.

Steve

If you do not want to bolt the legs to the floor (which Atlas apparently assumed would be done), I would suggest two lengths of about 2" or 2-1/2" steel channel, length to reach from the front legs to about 6" behind the motor. Bolt the channel to the legs and your levelers to the ends of the channels.

Robert D.

If you do not want to bolt the legs to the floor (which Atlas apparently assumed would be done), I would suggest two lengths of about 2" or 2-1/2" steel channel, length to reach from the front legs to about 6" behind the motor. Bolt the channel to the legs and your levelers to the ends of the channels.

Robert D.

Thanks Steve and Robert, I thought of something similar, but I have decided to make a simple adjustable prop at the rear up to the counter shaft frame bolts.

It seems I have to add support under the suspended wooden floor, so bolting down is not an option at the moment, as I need adjustment.

This is how it looks now, angle and ply shelf added.

Next job is to try and adapt the top slide to fit on the T slotted cross slide, it can be seen resting in place, but height is a problem here, much thought needed . The T/s slide is much longer than the original so doesn't wear the carriage in the middle the same way, but was only made to fit a QC tool holder.

DSCF7641.JPG

Last edited:
Looks nice. I see that you painted your oil can to match. :)

I think maybe what you are calling the Top Slide is commonly called the compound.

Isn't that slide what Atlas called a Carriage Turret? I just acquired the next later version (there was a third later version) for my 3996 12". Looks pretty much like yours except that the rear turret is square. Downside of adapting the compound to it is that you lose the angle scale. I haven't had mine on the machine yet (I bought it because of the turrets) and don't have a feel for the heights involved but would the cut-down top of the standard cross slide fit in the available height? If so, you should be able to locate one loose to purchase. In fact, there are two on eBay this morning.

Robert D

LOL been looking for that can everywhere....gotta find a red or some other colour can for the way oil..

I have a spare 10F in bits so I can adapt parts if possible, like you say the angle scale is a problem.

I have only placed it and that rather flimsy tool holder on there to check the hieght, hadn't got any further with thinking about it, keep the suggestions coming please.

I never had the front turret for the T/s/s, had to adapt one to fit, the rear tool post is seriously good for smooth parting off, I would never use the front again for this, I was given a NOS meaty looking tool that just about fits into it, it's a little wider than I would like but it works so well I'm sticking with it, need to make a boat for it.

DSCF7644.JPG

DSCF7644.JPG

Well I decided that it was just not stable enough and drastic measures had to be taken, so the floor had to come up!

Before taking it up I marked the leg hole centres on the floor and drilled four holes in the floor board.

Dug a hole and filled it with concrete, inserted threaded rods held in position through the replaced boards.

DSCF7669.JPG

When that was set I cut square holes in the boards and shuttered up for a couple of risers, during this time I was starting to worry that my OCD was beginning to show...

DSCF7688.JPG

Put the insulation and boards back then put a leveling skim of cement in the holes to correct the concrete shrinkage.

DSCF7689.JPG

Amazingly the rods hadn't moved!

DSCF7690.JPG

And was it worth all the effort? You betcha.. I thought the lathe ran better directly I bolted it to the frame and legs, but now it is so quiet I can't believe it's the same machine! Just got to final level it now, and I should be able to start making something a little more challenging than I have done up till now...

DSCF7669.JPG DSCF7688.JPG DSCF7689.JPG DSCF7690.JPG

Very nice. I like the tray! Mine was just mounted onto a flat sheet of Al. Did not stop stuff from falling off but was a good shelf in it's own right.

Bolted to the concrete is the best thing to do for a light weight lathe, will also help the chatter a bit as it will change the frequency that the lathe resonates at.

Back