Lathe relay - need help identifying

J Pilz

Registered
Registered
I have a 1975-1980 Jet 1340 lathe and the reverse direction does not engage so I'm assuming the relay is at fault as it doesn't activate when I press the override button on the relay.
Forward works fine but no reverse
Can someone suggest a replacement relay?
IMG_5671.jpg
IMG_5800.jpg

Did it used to work and now it doesn't? Or did you just get this machine?
Is this a 3-phase machine or single phase 220v?
I see a wire missing on terminal 1a on the rightmost unit-- should be one there
Doesn't totally explain why the test button doesn't work, but it might mean there is more than one fault
Which is the forward one? Left or right? They look different like one is newer

Lots of choices in that style of contactor, only thing not obvious is the coil voltage- have a manual for it?

Last edited:
I've had this machine since the mid 80's
it has single phase 220v and it did work many moons ago and never really had the need for reverse but we did a total cleaning of the lathe this past spring and I'm just now getting around to addressing it

Adder ..... I have a manual but it's not all that great. I contacted Jet and they couldn't help me cause they have no record for this machine.
I sat back and thought ...... what?

Last edited:
Mark, I got some bad intel on this lathe. I'll evaluate whats going on with the lathe myself and fire up this post again in a couple days.

In picture 1, the wires on normally closed auxiliary contacts on the reverse contactor (first terminals on the second contactor) are being jumped together .
The system is interlocked and the control system requires that both the normally open and normally closed auxiliary contacts function correctly for both contactors to function.

If you power down the lathe, you can test the normally closed contacts with an ohm meter. There should be very low resistance across the normally closed contacts at rest.
Conversely, the normally open contacts should read open in the same test at rest.

The contactor coil voltage is 110vac, the panel is for controlling a single phase motor

Last edited:
Those look familiar. I keep many good used contractors.
I think I would look at a contactor renewal kit.
With it you can disassemble the contactor and just replace the contacts and springs.
If you jump the coil with a test cable 115 vac
With the system not powered, you should be able to test the contacts with your ohm meter, before that ohm the coil and compare the value to the coil on the other contactor.
You most likely will have to remove at least one wire to get accurate results.
The reason for using the test cable to energize the coil Is the coil pulls in with a certain force, less than you might be using manually. I have tested contactor that I could push the manual operator and have the contacts make good contact but with the coil energized not make good contact.
I think I have some of those contactor good used. Any part numbers?

Back