Lathe operation, feed rod vs leadscrew

i Have an Enco Model 510-2585, 13x40 lathe and like yours I don't think it has any relatives. Around the corner from the the quick change gear box on the change gears cover is a chart that has 2 tables. 1 for MM and the other for ZOLL (IMPERIAL?) Each lettered line (A-E) has a coarse cut image which I take to be be threads and a fine image which I believe indicates distance moved per turn of the spindle. It does have a threading chart on the quick change gear box which I use quite heavily. except for threading I run it a great deal of time by SOMP, taking light cuts and slow feed rate.

It does have half nuts and the machining functions are by a separate lever that can be engaged with the spindle turning, up for longitudinal down for cross feed.

I do like running it especially when real precise work is not required. Hopefully I will learn to do precise work on it.

Have a good day
Ray

This was my take on the process. You have to adapt it to your machine, but some of the stuff in there might be useful for you. I don't recall how RJ did it off hand, I'm sure he'll mention it later.

I used Clough42's board and firmware. My setup was slightly different than Clough's as I used a different stepper motor. As I recall, most of the build details were given in this thread:

The setup has performed well over the past two years. The only feature that I would like to see added is the ability to enter a custom thread pitch from the control panel. (I haven't followed Clough's work recently so that may have been done already .)

@greenail, the OP of the above thread, is working on a more sophisticated electronic lead screwthat looks ineteresting.

Back