Lathe Noob With Some Questions On First Cuts

Good for you, Tony. Glad you got this sorted, finally.

With regard to grinding tools, I would recommend you decide on which type of grinder you are going to use and make yourself a good tool rest. I much prefer a good belt grinder but admit I am in the minority in my choice. Be sure your tool rest provides support around the right side of the wheel or belt to provide support for the bit as you grind in the back rake on a tool. Keep in mind that the most critical angles on a tool bit are the ones that rely on the tool rest angle - the relief and side rake angles - your table must allow you to precisely set and control those angles.

As you have found, a good tool can make a big difference in how the lathe itself performs and you are off to a good start. Now you need to individualize your tools to your specific lathe. Every lathe has a limit but yours is far more capable than you can imagine right now, and your tools will unlock it.

I forgot to mention - it looks like the side relief and side rake angles don't quite meet. There is an area of brightness at the cutting edge that indicates a dull edge. You can either grind it to correct this or hone the tool but that edge should be razor sharp.

Your chips look good - wide and thin, just like this tool should produce. The cutting angles are more acute and the increased back rake shifts the cutting load toward the tip so it should finish pretty well. A tool with standard geometry will cut with thicker and tightly curled chips in steel but this one is not standard so the chips will look different.

It doesn't look like the angles meet from the photos. Could be the small flat looking areas are angled in the photo. His chips look good to me.

Good for you, Tony. Glad you got this sorted, finally.

With regard to grinding tools, I would recommend you decide on which type of grinder you are going to use and make yourself a good tool rest. I much prefer a good belt grinder but admit I am in the minority in my choice. Be sure your tool rest provides support around the right side of the wheel or belt to provide support for the bit as you grind in the back rake on a tool. Keep in mind that the most critical angles on a tool bit are the ones that rely on the tool rest angle - the relief and side rake angles - your table must allow you to precisely set and control those angles.

As you have found, a good tool can make a big difference in how the lathe itself performs and you are off to a good start. Now you need to individualize your tools to your specific lathe. Every lathe has a limit but yours is far more capable than you can imagine right now, and your tools will unlock it.

Here I thought I was the only one who liked a belt sander to rough my bits.

Back