Lathe motor

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I took my motor apart cause it has a bad bearing. I realized its an unsealed motor with no guard protection and FIlLED to the gills with chips... even the centrifugal switch. Which had charring on it from a past short circuit... super fun...

IMAG0849.jpg
This was after I picked most of the wads out...

I wonder if using pieces of furnace insulation material (or something similar) over the openings in the motor case would prevent swarf from getting into the motor. Might prolong the life of said motor. I might need to do something similar to mine.

Replace the motor with a TEFC motor! Yeah, I know, that could be an expensive change out.

I don't think I'd insulate it as it's an air cooled motor.
Installing a tefc motor would be nice. I want to install a bigger motor anyways. It's only 3/4 hp. But the Space where the the motor is is quite small. The motor actually rests against the bench it's sitting on. And it's not a very big motor. I had put 5/8" thick solid rubber under the lathe legs to reduce noise and vibration transfer, so that jacked up the lathe enough that the motor doesn't touch. But still, not enough room.

I'll likely put a chip guard over the motor. I just don't think the motor has ever been opened since new. So, 40 years of junk being sucked into the air ports.

Sorry for the confusion, as that is not what I intended to say. What I wanted to suggest was to use furnace FILTER material, like the very open blue fiberglass-type material, to cover the air vents. It would prevent crap from getting sucked into the motor while being open enough to not restrict airflow.

Sorry for the confusion, as that is not what I intended to say. What I wanted to suggest was to use furnace FILTER material, like the very open blue fiberglass-type material, to cover the air vents. It would prevent crap from getting sucked into the motor while being open enough to not restrict airflow.
Scotch brite pads are also an option. You can hot (glue) snot them over the vents.

It won't win any awards at a show but it will get the job done.

If there is enough room make sheet metal covers for the ends that are open at the bottom or have louvers that face down. Lots of machine tool motors are open, my Hardinge lathe is but the vents face down to help keep chips out.

Greg

Yeah, my L & S had a open drip proof 10 HP motor on it. You should have seen what you can accumulate in a 60 year old motor! The stator would not turn from dirt and crud that got between it and the windings.

Don’t play around and Mickey Mouse the job! You don’t want an electrical fire! Get the correct motor, do it right!

No worry of fires due to shorts. That's why your house has circuit breakers. And making sure they're not rated higher than the circuit is built for. The motor is clean now, definitely safer than it was before. There's nothing wrong with an air cooled motor in an oil borne area with proper guarding and splash guards.

Back