[How do I?] Lathe/mill A Converging, Internal Angle Deep Inside Part

Honestly, not too sure what he's using.

When I've used 6061 in the past (mainly methanol or kerosene) it held up fairly well.
It's easier to get an ablative film to use at least while assembling/testing and save the true surface for flight, but eh.

Here's a cross sectional drawing showing the nozzle seated into the insulating liner:
df7dc02bea85eda769768c6a3a91c0be.jpg

That is for a solid motor, where the combustion chamber "is" the fuel source up until the last remnants of fuel.

The joint between the chamber (be that the flat wall with or without the converging section) and the nozzle is integral.

There will be a jacket surround this

Thank you for the playlist.
As you'll note though, those are only the nozzles not nozzle+chamber and are used for solid motors (more common).

This design is for a smaller engine than I'm used to. Typically the throat is large enough to accommodate a boring bar once the converging angle has been stepped to a rough angle

That is for a solid motor, where the combustion chamber "is" the fuel source up until the last remnants of fuel.

The joint between the chamber (be that the flat wall with or without the converging section) and the nozzle is integral.

There will be a jacket surround this
Correct, the ones I've been showing, except the spun one, are solid motors. I suspected yours might be a liquid motor. So, yours would be like the spun one from Copenhagen, which is for a liquid motor and includes a jacket.

correct, this is a liquid engine and the spun one is as well.
I've never seen that machine before though, it's neat. The "real" rocket engines are usually explosively formed.

.... hmm, reamers still seem to be the simplest solution but have to think it out.

I was at Marshall Space Flight Center the week before last. Their metal 3D printers would make short work of this.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I looked into that actually when I realized this was going to be tough.

The simplest solution was Shapeways, but $300+ to potentially found out it is not structurally sound enough to hold the pressure would be unfortunate.

Back