Lathe leadscrew protector advice ?

Are you working with a lot of things that produce abrasive dust, like cast iron or grinding? If not, you might be worrying more than necessary. As some folks here mentioned, unless your lathe, like mine, uses one lead screw for both gross movement and threading, this may be doubly true. Of course, you are perfectly free to hold whatever concerns you wish. Rather than a guard for the lead screw itself, however, you may be as well (or better) served by making a chip guard that attaches magnetically to your carriage, like I made here. This design might work well to not only keep chips and swarf off the lead screw, but also off the floor and out of your eyes. Depending on the position of your lead screw, you might need to modify the bottom of the shield a bit.
Yes. The large string chips are not an issue and easily brushed off. My concern long term is the finer particulates associated with turning cast irons, and sanding / polishing operations . The "string" clean is getting old. Looking for some type of bellows covers . Spent a ton of money and time on this lathe and trying to take the best care I can and thinking long term.

Try joycedayton.com. No idea if they are any good, or where they source their materials, but they appear to make bellows for all sorts of machines. If they are not suitable, try a search on "machine screw bellows". I got quite a few hits on that search.

Finally found a system I think I can make fit. Here's the general idea :

McMaster Carr has a size I think I can work with, (1-1/2" dia x 18" extended) they aint cheap, but it's a sound investment :

Try joycedayton.com. No idea if they are any good, or where they source their materials, but they appear to make bellows for all sorts of machines. If they are not suitable, try a search on "machine screw bellows". I got quite a few hits on that search.
Finally found a system I think I can make fit. Here's the general idea :

McMaster Carr has a size I think I can work with, (1-1/2" dia x 18" extended) they aint cheap, but it's a sound investment :

Same as what LMS sells for 7x 10/12/14/16 Mini-Lathes:

E1EB5828-A82D-4F49-9881-E7DF557E561D.jpeg

Kit components:

8BBCD1D9-3BDD-4299-A2AD-6BF24014D81A.jpeg

Back