Lathe headstock drill chuck arbor profile(?)

Metal

Registered
Registered
Hey I have an old south bend that I'm learning how to use, I need to get a drill chuck for the tailstock (same model as this guy has it seems: http://www.mountmyfish.com/sb9/?page_id=331

doing some searching, there's a couple different arbor profiles that it could be as well as a handful of different sizes, is there any sort of rule of thumb on what to measure for what in order to figure out what I need to buy? Its not as if I can measure a taper with calipers

My 1947 Southbend 9" uses MT-2 for the tailstock.

One thing to consider for anything you're putting in the tailstock is ejection.
For me the flat tang on large MT2 shank drill bits ejects them when I crank the tailstock ram all the way back.
But for some other stuff (MT2-to-MT1 adaptors, and such), I had to either add a friction fit plug or drill and tap a hole in the back-end so I could put a cap screw in to make it eject properly.

Now I always try to prove things will eject by only placing them gently in the tailstock taper first, before getting them jammed in.

-brino

My 1947 Southbend 9" uses MT-2 for the tailstock.

One thing to consider for anything you're putting in the tailstock is ejection.
For me the flat tang on large MT2 shank drill bits ejects them when I crank the tailstock ram all the way back.
But for some other stuff (MT2-to-MT1 adaptors, and such), I had to either add a friction fit plug or drill and tap a hole in the back-end so I could put a cap screw in to make it eject properly.

Now I always try to prove things will eject by only placing them gently in the tailstock taper first, before getting them jammed in.

-brino

Good to know
I've looked up a handful of manuals and videos now, and I think that the collet may just be seized up inside the keyed shaft inside the tailstock and I was looking at that, I'll fully disassemble tonight and see if I'm right.

Turns out you were right
the guy made a fake MT2 collet to hold a spacer he made for the broken steadying head which was throwing me way off.

drill chuck ordered! :)

Because you have MT2, you may be able to find chuck arbor and chuck in your local hardware or tool store, new drill press even the china made use the MT2 taper so replacement should be available, couple of days back i bought this drill press spindle, arbor, 3-16mm chuck for cheap at a local tools market.
DSC_0020.JPG

Back