Lathe grease gun advice

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.
Mate of mine is a boilermaker, bought an old Macson back in 2007. Only needed it for turning large flanges for water pipework. Chuck is about 900mm in diameter and bed is about 3m between centers. Gap bed also, Old and worn, the shears taper because feeding in to the chuck I can get a great finish, If I reverse feed on the fly the carriage rocks over and starts taking another cut outwards. No amount of adjustment would minimise this as feeding out would progressively tighten the adjusting pads against the shears and you would start to hear the motor load up through the gear train. No more out feeding on that one. Max speed 300rpm, min speed 7rpm. Weighs about 8 tons and the biggest flange I've turned on it was 1400mm x 85mm thick. 10" square toolpost on it too. Very solid machine.

Best job I've ever had, best people to work with also, locals and internationals. Very good work, lots of variety. I ran the 500hr servicing at Snowtown stage 1, North Brown Hill and also The Bluff. As well as genny changeouts and some gearbox repairs. I trained a number of locals to become technicians.
You'd love it up there, its a fitters dream. Aligning the genny to gearbox, yaw drives to gearrim backlash, hydraulic torquing of any bolt from 30mm dia up in the nacelle and all the way down the tower, cleaning was messy at times. Stop and start the turbine using a laptop, testing of limit switches using same, filling greasers, diagnosing and repairing faults both mechanical and electrical. There must have been a hundred jobs done in them during service for a crew of say 4 guys to be done inside of three days.
Really the best work I have ever done, for the best money ever earnt. Hardest part of the day was climbing in the morning, but once up there thats where you stayed for the rest of the day. You trained your arse to **** before climbing or risked a second climb. I climbed for 2 yrs at Snowtown (500hr service and 4 x 6 mth services) and then was shifted to North Brown Hill which from that point on all farms had to be fitted out with elevators as well as ladders, but the elevators made your day. Most number of manual climbs in one day was 3 for 9 days straight fitting out noise reduction units at Hallett Hill windfarm, my last site. Cold in winter but you had a warm gearbox to sit on and suck up some warmth. Hot in summer but if a breeze was blowing it wasn't too bad up there. You're 85 meters off the ground, or more in the larger units, great sense of freedom up there whilst working, harnessed while climbing or descending or going out to the hub or roof for maintenance.
Best job I've ever had.

Best job I've ever had, best people to work with also, locals and internationals. Very good work, lots of variety. I ran the 500hr servicing at Snowtown stage 1, North Brown Hill and also The Bluff. As well as genny changeouts and some gearbox repairs. I trained a number of locals to become technicians.
You'd love it up there, its a fitters dream. Aligning the genny to gearbox, yaw drives to gearrim backlash, hydraulic torquing of any bolt from 30mm dia up in the nacelle and all the way down the tower, cleaning was messy at times. Stop and start the turbine using a laptop, testing of limit switches using same, filling greasers, diagnosing and repairing faults both mechanical and electrical. There must have been a hundred jobs done in them during service for a crew of say 4 guys to be done inside of three days.
Really the best work I have ever done, for the best money ever earnt. Hardest part of the day was climbing in the morning, but once up there thats where you stayed for the rest of the day. You trained your arse to **** before climbing or risked a second climb. I climbed for 2 yrs at Snowtown (500hr service and 4 x 6 mth services) and then was shifted to North Brown Hill which from that point on all farms had to be fitted out with elevators as well as ladders, but the elevators made your day. Most number of manual climbs in one day was 3 for 9 days straight fitting out noise reduction units at Hallett Hill windfarm, my last site. Cold in winter but you had a warm gearbox to sit on and suck up some warmth. Hot in summer but if a breeze was blowing it wasn't too bad up there. You're 85 meters off the ground, or more in the larger units, great sense of freedom up there whilst working, harnessed while climbing or descending or going out to the hub or roof for maintenance.
Best job I've ever had.

Glad you like it, but at 73 with a bung hip it wouldn't suit me. I've done a few things, but most of my working life I was a marine engineer. Great pay, but terrible hours, away from home 3 -4 months at a time. My last 10 years I was on the second largest ship ever to fly the Aussie flag. A super tanker carrying 136,000 t crude oil. Ended up as 1st engineer for the last two years. Most of the time from middle east to Sydney and Geelong. Sometimes we went to other places like China, Korea, NZ, USA , Singapore, Indonesia and Hawaii.
Don't tell me about torquing up big bolts Ever seen the size of the bolts on the cylinder heads of a big marine diesel engine., or the con rod big end, and main bearing caps, you need a crane to lift the spanner.

Back