Lathe grease gun advice

The push pump oil and grease type can be found in metal , there used in small engines, chainsaw bars specifically.

Thanks for the recommendation. I found this one on Ebay that's designed to lube motorcycle swingarm bushings. Once I receive it, I'll report back on how well it works.

s-l600.jpg

I think this has been narrowed down to the device used for the grease application. There's really no big secrets to operating a grease gun with or without an adjustable tip and the only thing left out of many instructions is to wipe/clean the zerk before the application. You stated earlier that you pulled a zerk when attempting to pull/disconnect the grease gun, and this seems to be a poorly fitted zerk. Whatever the pump design of the gun the zerks are designed for a straight on or off action in line with the zerk axis. Of course xerks are manufactured to several different angles to fit the application.

The application rates of two pumps daily seems to be a lot to me, and that's from the standpoint of tramp grease ending up on and in the oil lubricating the gear teeth. When you pump and the grease comes out when or where you can see it try to clean it off to prevent contamination. In the past these lube points were designed for oil but inserting a zerk is less expensive and the grease that fits the application is readily available. The engineering and designs manufactured into the original machinery are often lost in the manufacturing processes offshore.

Edit: After reading a couple of posts and looking at the owners manual instructions again I saw geared pulleys and belts, with the help of stronger readers. :foot in mouth:

Last edited:
Well now that's the first lathe I've seen that does take grease. No exposed gears but belts with cogs. But the grease gun I was talking about is almost like the one you have pictured. Live and learn.

Well now that's the first lathe I've seen that does take grease. No exposed gears but belts with cogs. But the grease gun I was talking about is almost like the one you have pictured. Live and learn.
I had to step up and put my 1.75 readers on after reading your post. I was seeing gears not belts and pulleys.

It seems Grizzly did just about everything unconventionally on the 8K. Which is not a complaint, it's a hell of a machine for what I paid...it's just a weird mix of specs!

I'm not a local but I see South Bend written on this lathe. Am I missing something? Who is the manufacturer of Tanshanomi's lathe?
Don't worry, I went back up to the first post and saw "I have had a Grizzly South Bend 8K for a while now".
Does Grizzly have permission to use the South Bend name?

Also to Tanshanomi, that little grease pump I pictured, has a concave face at the contact end for the nipple to seat into. No latching. If you have to you might need to machine one into yours.

I have the SB 1002. The grease points are almost identical but most of mine call for oil and have ball oilers. I think for these relatively low speed bearings as long as they are lubricated with something they will do fine. The spindle and the change gears on mine take grease. Also note that the "2 pumps of grease per day" assumes you are running the lathe for 8 hours. If you use your lathe intermittently like I do you will use way less grease.
Robert

Who is the manufacturer of Tanshanomi's lathe?
Don't worry, I went back up to the first post and saw "I have had a Grizzly South Bend 8K for a while now".
Does Grizzly have permission to use the South Bend name?

Grizzly bought the South Bend name after the old SB company folded.

I think it shameful when the founding company has to sell out to another, and the new company uses the original name on its own products. It doesn't seem right that a once proud name is now attached to second rate products.
Am I allowed to say this, or is this turning political?

I think it shameful when the founding company has to sell out to another, and the new company uses the original name on its own products. It doesn't seem right that a once proud name is now attached to second rate products.
Am I allowed to say this, or is this turning political?

We have always lived in a global economy, and we never (almost always) get a say in what the buyer does with our product. I think if the same effort was applied to producing a quality product as the original South Bend, you or I wouldn't have a problem with it. The first issue with the low quality product (import machine tools) are the lack of controls in the alloys, from the cast iron castings, the steel or the brass/bronze that's used. The only chance of getting a product that has some quality built in is due to CNC machinery, not the machine operators. The political bent if there is one, is listening to someone trying to convince you the cake they baked is really good for you, go ahead and taste it. Reality is, it's empty calories. We should probably leave it at that because attempting to convince someone to go on a diet is a touchy subject.

Back