Lathe DRO

You make it look so easy! I would like to try one of those DROs. Please keep us posted on your experiences with it. Can it be ordered online?
Robert
Thank you for the kind words.

Once I get some time on it I'll post an update. I don't really use the lathe that much so it may be awhile.

These are new products for Ditron, it seems that there is no on-line new production products available. There are some earlier products available on both Amazon and Ebay. Might be best to contact Ditron directly, sales@dcoee.com http://www.dcoee.com/

I did not buy a standard ''kit'' I bought the individual pieces (DRO, Mag read heads, Mag Tape) to fit my needs. It is rare that a manufacturer will sell parts that way. I did not want the mounting rails and other hardware as a ready-to-install kit.

The problem with a DRO on anything is you normally have a choice of looking at the DRO or the work. I want to see both at the same time.:grin: Time to start thinking about that one. Ideas anyone????

Some kinda neural implant, maybe with a blue tooth connection.
Then you could really become one with the machine.
-brino

Dusting this thread off to ask Jim for an update on how this setup is working out.

Seems to work very well. No problems so far, and very accurate. The only complaint I had was there did not seem to be any way to switch between radius and diameter on the DRO. I wanted diameter, so I just recalibrated the X axis to read 2X, and it worked fine.

When I tear down my carriage I need to copy you groov(y) modification.

I still have got to come up with something for the mill.

I have almost the same thing on my mill. Using Renishaw read heads on the mill, but the Ditron heads are identical.

1)D100-2V 2axis 70USD
2)DMR200 1um 90USD X 2
3)MS200-2M 2+2 56USD (2 meters tape)
Shipping cost By FedEx 65USD

Amount 371USD

I can't see any reason to buy all that extra aluminum housing that you have with most scale systems.

Jim, where did you buy the reader heads and the tape? Can I just get the tape without all the junk you have take off? I'd like to implement your idea on South Bend 9A cross slide and will also come in handy on milling machine quill and perhaps tail stock quill on the lathe. Thank you!

Jim, where did you buy the reader heads and the tape? Can I just get the tape without all the junk you have take off? I'd like to implement your idea on South Bend 9A cross slide and will also come in handy on milling machine quill and perhaps tail stock quill on the lathe. Thank you!

Factory direct from Ditron. sales@dcoee.com
http://www.dcoee.com/

You have to make sure they understand you do not want the tape mounting rails, and that you must have the 10mm wide stainless band to cover the mag tape. Just a bit of a language issue. I finally had to send pictures of what I wanted. But overall good people to work with.

It's easy, but the trick is to do it without disturbing any of the manual capabilities and make it convertable with a flick of a switch. :grin:

Back