Lathe Drill Chuck

Heckle and Jeckle

Registered
Registered
School me, MT3 drill chuck, whats recommended, generally speaking, no keyless that is not an option, not a fan?

Thanks in advance
greg

What you're looking at is an opportunity to expand your tool inventory...buy as many different sizes and brands as money will allow. No....seriously it's all a matter of preference. Whatever works for you is the right one.

Jacobs super chuck 14n 5/8" cap. or equivalent.

14n is definitely compatible with an mt3 tailstock .

I have several of the Jacobs 33 chucks and they are fine for general shop use.

Just be aware that some of the larger chuck sizes, (generally once you go above 1/2" capacity) wont grip on the smaller size, (1/16-1/8) bits.
Also, I was never a big fan of the keyless chucks..........Until I was given a Rohm keyless Chuck. Yes its 5/8 capacity and I need to use a pin vise on small stuff, but its grip on drill shanks is unbelievable. My drill press runs an intermediate pulley and I can stall the 3/4 HP motor at low speed before the chuck slips. And 1 quick wrist spin releases the chuck jaws effortlessly

Cheers Phil

Looking around I can find the Supper chuck for 150, the next problem to solve is the arbor. I see the MT 3 (3MT) but there are

3MT- 1JT Drill Chuck Arbor.............3 M.T............. 1JT

3MT- 2JT Drill Chuck Arbor............ 3 M.T............. 2JT

3MT- 3JT Drill Chuck Arbor............ 3 M.T............. 3JT

3MT- 4JT Drill Chuck Arbor.............3 M.T............. 4JT

3MT- 5JT Drill Chuck Arbor............. 3 M.T............ 5JT

3MT- 6JT Drill Chuck Arbor............. 3 M.T............ 6JT

3MT- 33JT Drill Chuck Arbor............ 3 M.T........... 33JT

So I am stuck on stupid... not sure what the Bold numbers are telling me. Could it be a reference regarding the tailstock travel, mine is 3 1/8 ?

Greg

ChuckArbor.png
The bold numbers are the size of the taper in the chuck. JT=Jacobs Taper. So if your chuck takes a #3 Jacobs Taper (3JT) and your lathe #3 Morse Taper (3MT) the third one on the list would be appropriate.

Last edited:
What Clueless said (his username is a lie, don't let him convince you otherwise), plus the context that, while single-piece chucks (the machine's taper and the chuck body are machined from one solid piece of metal) do exist, a separate arbor as he posted is much more common. Thus the arbors have two specifications. In my case I got a 2MT - 33 JT for my lathe, and a 33 JT chuck (both from Shars, through their Discount Machine Shop eBay store). I put them together the day I bought them and they have never come apart since then.

Back