Lathe Chuck Question

guitarpro1324

Registered
Registered
Hey guys I don't know what I was thinking but I removed my chuck and then removed the cams and the screws off the back plate....3 springs popped out from an unknown location.

48f8aebdf656e3dd1ea186a476900c45.jpg7f74f88aae9e7b957ef8ac3e0dd5dd49.jpg
67d0178dcfc7501595c614e95c64ae1d.jpg

Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Three cams? Can't say I can help much, never seen springs behind any cams I have removed in the past. What diameter are they compared to the cam or screw?

Pics with original post aren't working for me.

My guess is that you removed the spring loaded detents from a D1-4 spindle nose. The cap screws holding the springs and detents are at 90 deg to the cams. These allow the cam to rotate but prevent the cams from falling out of the spindle nose. You must have removed the cap screws for the springs to fall out so look for the detents behind them that can fall out too ( or they may still be in the hole held by grease or oil). Both springs and detents are small.

I can see why you would call it a back plate but it is called a spindle nose. The chuck and backplate assembly usually mounts to it.

Last edited:
there have been a few posts about how insert pics from tapatalk so everynoe can see them. But I can't remember myself.
all I know is I can't see them in this op.

there have been a few posts about how insert pics from tapatalk so everynoe can see them. But I can't remember myself.
all I know is I can't see them in this op.

I don't use tapatalk but as I recall you have to click on the paper clip instead of whatever you clicked on. Hope you know what the "paper clip" is cause I don't, but then I've never used tapatalk. Hope this helps, JR49

EDIT: If that works, please go back and re-post the other pics so we all can see them

Back