Lathe Chuck Key

omni_dilletante

somewhat active
Registered
The key that came with my four jaw chuck is pretty miserable. It was not a problem until I decided it was time to actually use the chuck.

I decided to reuse the cross bar, but make a whole new key. I decided a brass cap would look nice to cover the hold created for the detent ball and spring. Using the tap and die guides I built earlier was a real pleasure.

20160613_121326_zpsy0ll0tuj.jpg
20160613_121419_zpslumfgxqy.jpg

I am finding that as I finally get tooling sorted out that I can actually finish small projects instead of getting lost in projects-I-need-to-finish-before-I-can-start-this-project.

I am starting to enjoy this.

I am finding that as I finally get tooling sorted out that I can actually finish small projects instead of getting lost in projects-I-need-to-finish-before-I-can-start-this-project.

Yep. I still get a thrill every time I don't have to buy or make something to complete what I'm doing.

I fully agree and now I;m now going to go rebuild my chuck key.

Yeah, if I ever decided to do this, I would have make 2-3. Or at least make the square end that goes into the chuck easily replaceable...

Thanks for the video link. That will make using the four jaw chuck easier.

I also agree that I need 2 or 3 keys. So this weekend I made two more. So now I have a spare.

20160618_220758-001_zpsjuxkuhna.jpg
20160618_220821_zpszrrszajl.jpg
I am starting to feel like I know a little about what I am doing. It is a good feeling.

Very nice work. Is the handle held in place by a ball detent (shown on drawing)?

edit- read the first post and answered my question. Nice design.

Is the brass part threaded on? They look very nice.:clapping:

These look excellent. This is a little project that's been on my mind as well.

Yes, mine's a bit sloppy and I want to add an ejector spring. I've actually thought about attaching the master key on a short leash to the chuck key to ensure the lathe is disabled when the chuck key is in use.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back