Lathe chuck jaws

Wow a Rockford. How old is she? 1930s or 40s maybe 2-1/2" x 6 TPI threaded spindle. The chuck unscrews but Im not exactly sure of the procedure. Someone here will surely chime in how to unscrew it properly.

Rockwell used a couple different mounting systems. Get a pic of the area behind the chuck.

Here:

photos had bad link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an L00 to me. (I have an L00 on my traytop) Ideally you should have a spanner wrench that fits the holes. As you're standing in front of the lathe turning the collar away from you toward the back of the lathe loosens the collar. I use a brass hammer on the end of my wrench to give it a couple of taps when loosening/final tightening.

The holes on your collar look really shallow to me (could just be the photo). Be careful with the collar, it only comes off by removing the entire spindle.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot all. Now the hunt for the wrench, I'm sure its around somewhere I remember putting several spanners in a drawer just can't remember which one.

When you remove it, you could utilize the ram of the tailstock to hold it while you run the spanner nut off. Chuck lightly, with protection if you want, and tighten the lock just enough to keep it from tipping. It will handle the weight fine, and as you drag the ts back you can just grab the chuck if you feel it is no physical strain for you or rig a lift. Many people put a board under the chuck to protect the ways just in case things get away and the chuck falls.

Back