Lathe chuck jaws

billb2011

Active User
Registered
In all the videos I've been watching and all the posts and comments I've read I have not once seen or read about a six jaw chuck being used.
I currently have a six jaw chuck in my machine but have three and four jaw chucks on the shelf.

Can somebody elaborate on the different type chucks please. Are there benefits to having more jaws?

Thanks

Bill

6 jaw chucks are used for fragile or thin walled materials where the clamping pressure needs to be spread over more of the material to keep from deforming it. I have one and have only used it a couple of times in 6~8 years. 3 jaw chucks are usually the go-to chuck since the jaws move together. If your 3 jaw chuck has an "adjust-tru" feature it will also have 4 set screws around the periphery of the body to adjust the chuck to run on center of the spindle axis. Without this feature the average 3 jaw will get you within .003"~.006". The 4 jaw chuck takes a little more work to set up because each jaw is adjusted independently but it the most versatile as it allows you to do standard turning work as well as hold odd shaped stock. There are several more styles of chucks and collet holders too, lots to learn.

Well that makes sense. I like the six jaw I've been using, it seems to be true. I didn't know what the set screws in the body were for so that helps. I plan on leaving it on there for now since I'm not totally sure how to change it out just yet, although I guess it wouldn't be any different than a three jaw.

6 jaw chucks are used for fragile or thin walled materials where the clamping pressure needs to be spread over more of the material to keep from deforming it. I have one and have only used it a couple of times in 6~8 years. 3 jaw chucks are usually the go-to chuck since the jaws move together. If your 3 jaw chuck has an "adjust-tru" feature it will also have 4 set screws around the periphery of the body to adjust the chuck to run on center of the spindle axis. Without this feature the average 3 jaw will get you within .003"~.006". The 4 jaw chuck takes a little more work to set up because each jaw is adjusted independently but it the most versatile as it allows you to do standard turning work as well as hold odd shaped stock. There are several more styles of chucks and collet holders too, lots to learn.

That pretty much says it all. I use a four jaw almost exclusively. It is accurate and you don't worry about the +/- thing. It gets easy to set up with practice. I can have most set ups done in well under 60 seconds. It is also great for the odd shaped part the others won't hold.

"Billy G"

Between a three and a six jaw, the six would be my first choice. It gives you better holding power on your part, getting closer to being like a collet then a three jaw. On mine the jaws scroll in just like the three jaw ones and with the adjust thru feature you can make it run really accurately. I think the only downside is the extra time it takes to install your reverse jaws.

Dave R.

The 4 jaw is the most versatile of the bunch, here's an example of it's capabilities. I'm sure there are hundreds of examples on this site though:

DSCF6208_zpse395d9b4.jpg

DSCF6211_zpsf086cece.jpg

DSCF6208_zpse395d9b4.jpg

DSCF6208_zpse395d9b4.jpg

DSCF6211_zpsf086cece.jpg

Also was wondering if my 6 jaw chuck is of good quality, it says Buck on it. Anyone ever heard of that?

Also was wondering if my 6 jaw chuck is of good quality, it says Buck on it. Anyone ever heard of that?

Yup, Buck is a well known quality American chuck manufacturer and still in business. Go look up how much some of their current chucks cost, that alone will give you an idea right away.

Buck is a top quality chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back