Lathe Bump Tool. Centering Small Parts Easy.

I don't like this idea at all. If the part in the chuck is loose enough to be moved, then it may be loose enough to go flying into never-never land. I would crank the chuck(with the motor off) by hand and use a dial indicator and a soft mallet. May take longer, but a heck a lot safer.

Not unsafe on a manual machine unnecessary however, if the part is trapped between the tool and the chuck one couldn't pry it out of you wanted to.
On a CNC lathe the carriage will not float so if there is any run out it will back drive the ball screw and likely cause a shut down fault when the drive overloads.

Been doing this idea forever. I have the bearing type, but since the tool bit type (see pic) has been in the holder for almost forever. I have not needed to change it, works great. I think the bearing type rolls too easily and does not align as fast. The tool bit pushes instead of rolling, seems to work better. But does sometimes leave a mark, bearing type would not. All depends on what you are doing. Have never had a safety problem, never, on a manual lathe with power on…Dave.
toolbit.JPG

This was the first tool I made for my lathe and I use it all the time.
A very handy piece of kit but then again I aint a pro.

Beeing using this for a long time and can't see this danger in all this years.

Been doing this idea forever. I have the bearing type, but since the tool bit type (see pic) has been in the holder for almost forever. I have not needed to change it, works great. I think the bearing type rolls too easily and does not align as fast. The tool bit pushes instead of rolling, seems to work better. But does sometimes leave a mark, bearing type would not. All depends on what you are doing. Have never had a safety problem, never, on a manual lathe with power on…Dave.
View attachment 133308

I do the same as you.I rounded over a scrap piece of CRS that fit in the tool holder.Never had a problem in about 5 years

My bump tool is a piece of brass rod about 1-1/4" diameter by 3" long and a dial indicator. Been working good for many years!

Back