Lathe Backplate Help

boostin53

Registered
Registered
I have recently been craving an ER40 chuck for my Grizzly G4003G lathe, which has a D1-5 spindle. I have made an ER40 chuck for my smaller, threaded nose lathe and have been happy with it.

I know I could buy an MT5-ER40 chuck, but that won't allow me to pass stock thru the spindle. I can't seem to find a direct mount D1-5 ER40 collet chuck, but find them in the 5c flavor. Wanting an ER40, I'm left with very few options.

The easiest option would be to purchase a 132mm ER40 chuck that's ready for a backplate, on evilbay. Finally, here comes my question, what backplate do I need? I have never matched anything to a backplate. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

One of my other options, which is the cheapest option, is to make an ER40 collet block. And leave it in the three jaw, which I almost never use. I use the 4 jaw for almost everything. If I don't use the 4 jaw, I'm using the faceplate.

Reason for the ER40 on this lathe, is because I'm wanting the power and everything else my little 9x20 doesn't have.

I use a 3mt ER-40 chuck in the spindle with the 5mt-3mt adapter that comes with the lathe. It also fits the tailstock, so that's handy to.
I mostly use 5c collets but use the 40 when some odd size requires it.
I just made a drawbar for the ER-40 as it was threaded on the end already.
If your looking to pass stock farther through the ER collet then this type of chuck isn't what you want.

I've been wanting to build or purchase an ER chuck that mounted to the D1-5 ...but I have been wanting ER-50 and that further complicates finding anything available.

Your thinking:?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/100MM-DIAME...374996?hash=item3601cbea54:g:0U0AAOSwintXSJFI

Yes, I'm wanting to adapt that same chuck, but the one they have listed at 132mm. And yes, I want to pass stock thru the chuck. Hence why I don't want one similar to what you have. Would be nice for the tailstock when needed though.

Back