Lathe Back Splash

q20v

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

This is a pretty simple project but it should have a major impact on my lathe area. Without a back splash oil and swarf would end up behind the lathe and would sometimes be neglected for a while. I put off this project long enough, and it's finally done. I'm no expert in sheet metal work so it's a bit rough around the edges, but it should do the job just fine.

Before:
DSCN0025.JPG

20g piece of sheet metal I had laying around:
DSCN0027.JPG

Cut to shape with snips:
DSCN0028.JPG

My makeshift bender. Not precise but it bent the metal.. Yes, that's the bottom of an engine stand.
DSCN0029.JPG

First bend, this is a slight bend at the bottom to clear the lathe motor:
DSCN0030.JPG

And the second bend in the middle
DSCN0031.JPG

Attachment point to the lathe head stock:
DSCN0034.JPG

I drilled the drip pan mounting holes from behind (felt that the next morning) and used a center drill in a chuck to clean up the burr.
DSCN0038.JPG

I had some 90* brackets kicking around that I folder over the edges to add some rigidity to the back splash.
DSCN0041.JPG

A few rivets to hold the stiffeners on:
DSCN0042.JPG

All done and ready for paint:
DSCN0043.JPG

My first painting attempt was Rustoleum Satin Black, and although it was satin it still had too much glare for my liking. Plus the black wasn't doing it for me, so I re-painted it gloss grey. Kinda blends in better than the black.
DSCN0083.JPG DSCN0084.JPG

In this picture you can see how the middle of the bend isn't as bent as the sides.
DSCN0085.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Barry

Thanks Mike! I didn't have anything to machine yesterday so I threw some chips against it by hand. Worked as planned... :grin:

I like the colour you chose for it,blends very nicely.

"so I threw some chips against it by hand."
Nice test ,

I'm sure it will help protect the wall,

Back