Lathe accessories/tools. Ideas of what to buy.

Thanks for all the info again. Good news is it's the long bed mk1 with the 2 speed motor (must be after reading about them) as the speeds look like they range from 36-1600 rpm. I'm hoping to go with carbide to start as I'm not currently setup to grind tools and am hoping I can narrow down what will already be a steep learning curve I'm sure.

I'm reading up on the change gears as it seems like it's set up with a gearbox for imperial, but I guess swapping out change gears gives more range on avail threads? This one seems like it's setup imperial but I've read of a condor gearbox that would do metric with this particular lathe. Hopefully it's just a case of needing some different gears if I wanted it to do imperial.

Thanks for all the info again. Good news is it's the long bed mk1 with the 2 speed motor (must be after reading about them) as the speeds look like they range from 36-1600 rpm. I'm hoping to go with carbide to start as I'm not currently setup to grind tools and am hoping I can narrow down what will already be a steep learning curve I'm sure.

I'm reading up on the change gears as it seems like it's set up with a gearbox for imperial, but I guess swapping out change gears gives more range on avail threads? This one seems like it's setup imperial but I've read of a condor gearbox that would do metric with this particular lathe. Hopefully it's just a case of needing some different gears if I wanted it to do imperial.

If it went to the North American market, Tony Griffith indicates it had an Imperial leadscrew and should cut Imperial threads. No lathe is complete without a change gear set so if your lathe has an Imperial leadscrew then a Metric change gear set should be available, and vice versa.

It would be good to confirm that the lathe has a 2-speed motor. A higher speed is better for carbide. However, even 1600 rpm is on the slow side. My lathe goes to 2200 rpm and I just barely make it into the recommended range for carbide for the size and materials I commonly use. Still, carbide may work satisfactorily for you so give it a go.

Noooo, don't want to go into the HSS tool grinding business! In fact, I've ground some tools for some guys and it became apparent to me very quickly that it was better to show others how to do it themselves than for me to do it for them. That's what prompted the articles I've written on tool grinding. Give it a go; it is not nearly as difficult as it might appear.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will be out drinking with his buddies every day...

You guys just gave me an idea; I'll start my own thread on it. Self defense can take many forms ...

Back