Lathe accessories/tools. Ideas of what to buy.

While you're using the 4-way toolpost (quick-change are the best thing since bottled beer, but can get costly if you want lots of holders so your go-to tools are ready for action, I'm up to a dozen now...) get the tools shimmed to height then when you change tools put an elastic band around tool and shims to keep 'em together, it'll speed you up!

Dave H. (The other one)

If yours is a Mk. 1, top speed is only 800 rpm and inserted carbide tools may not be the best choice for you. 800 rpm is fine for larger work pieces of harder materials but if you plan to work with small diameters in softer steels/aluminum/brass then you may be better off with HSS. AR Warner sells a nice SCLCR tool that takes HSS CCMW inserts: http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-10-kit-6-38-inch-turning-c-right-hand.aspx. The 3/8" set will probably be a better choice than 1/2" given the size of your lathe. You can also use CCMT and CCGT carbide inserts in these holders if you choose. Or, you can learn to grind HSS tools, which is what I would do.

Huge +1 on this!!!! This is what I have and use on almost everything their threader is also really awesome too

If yours is a Mk. 1, top speed is only 800 rpm and inserted carbide tools may not be the best choice for you. 800 rpm is fine for larger work pieces of harder materials but if you plan to work with small diameters in softer steels/aluminum/brass then you may be better off with HSS. AR Warner sells a nice SCLCR tool that takes HSS CCMW inserts: http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-10-kit-6-38-inch-turning-c-right-hand.aspx. The 3/8" set will probably be a better choice than 1/2" given the size of your lathe. You can also use CCMT and CCGT carbide inserts in these holders if you choose. Or, you can learn to grind HSS tools, which is what I would do.

Is the only advantage of this setup over hand ground HSS just the grinding? I'm just curious why you recommend that over HSS blanks and a bench grinder.

One thing I might suggest, if no has yet, is a steady rest if the lathe doesn't come with one.

Is the only advantage of this setup over hand ground HSS just the grinding? I'm just curious why you recommend that over HSS blanks and a bench grinder.

I recommended that tool with the assumption that the owner is a new guy and doesn't know how to grind tools, yet wishes to learn to use his lathe asap. That will get him cutting without the speed requirement of carbide tooling. The realization that a well ground HSS tool will be superior to that tool will come in time and he can choose to learn to grind them, or not.

I think we should send blanks to mikey and ask him for what we want. :)

Thank you for the compliment!

You were joking, right?
Mostly.. You don't want to make everyone's lathe cutters? :)

Thanks for the video and info on it. I would like to learn to do it myself once I get more gear to work with.

Mostly.. You don't want to make everyone's lathe cutters? :)

Thanks for the video and info on it. I would like to learn to do it myself once I get more gear to work with.

Noooo, don't want to go into the HSS tool grinding business! In fact, I've ground some tools for some guys and it became apparent to me very quickly that it was better to show others how to do it themselves than for me to do it for them. That's what prompted the articles I've written on tool grinding. Give it a go; it is not nearly as difficult as it might appear.

I plan to. I need a lathe first though, not much point if I can't test it. I should probably look into fixing up my HF grinder to get a more accurate angle.

Back