Lateral Spindle play causing Chatter SB9 Junior?

I just edited previous post as follows: Made a rookie mistake when measuring the movement of the spindle. Left the belt on and tight. Loosened the belt and now there is back and forth movement again. About .0025" pushing and about .0015 pulling. Actually, as I think about it, this might be better since I am getting closer to the .001" clearance I am trying to achieve. Maybe that is why the chatter appears to be gone.
Again, comments appreciated.

Last edited:
I had a similar SB many years ago, but with QC and automatic apron, but the bearings were the same type and badly worn, as was the spindle, I had the spindle hard chromed and reground and made new bearings out of 660 bronze, I also relieved the center of the bearing seat to allow oil to flow around and under the bearings and cut a slot in the bottom of the bearing and inserted a piece of hard felt to strain and feed oil to the bearings, which were scraped to fit the spindle and shimmed for clearance. The bronze stock was split in half and the halves soft soldered together before finishing. I see no way to adjust your bearings for lateral clearance.
Chatter is back. @benmychree, do you happen to still have dimensions on the bronze bearings you made? I am going to take a stab at making a set.

Unfortunately not, that was in the early 70s; I just took dimensions from the old bearings and made the new ones to match..

Back