Laser Tach shiney tape

dlane

Active User
Registered
Got me a laser tach but every thing that spins on my machines are shiney / oily :)
I was thinking paint the spindle's black and leave a shiney spot unpainted, but don't think the paint will last
Black tape the spindles except one spot , the oil will turn tape to goo
How are others getting these optical tacks to work ?.
Any suggestions
Thanks

My hand held tachometer came with some pieces of reflective tape. The instructions said to cut off a piece and put on the item, e.g., spindle, chuck etc. The tape has lines which are used to measure the desired length. If too small the tach does not read well. If the correct length and the tach held at the correct distance it works well. I have to play with the distance so the beam matches the tape width.

Ok thanks , so is it special tape and doesn't matter if everything else is spinning shiney metal
Obviously I haven't tried it yet just wondering if everything being reflective will it work

I have my tape on normal steel surfaces. Shiny but not polished. I think the tape reflects the laser with minimal diffusion much better than the steel surface so a better reading at the tach.

Numbers are all over the place on mill spindle, kinda figured it was too shiney, 1/2" piece of tape per instructions
Plan B ?

My hand tach can also give readings which vary all over. I tweak the distance and angle until I get a steady reading.

You could try a wrap of black tape around the spindle and a piece of the shiny tape on top.

Could you get the shiny shaft out of the machine to a sandblaster? If so, mask off an area to be left shiny, then sandblast the remainder of the circumference. The dull, diffuse reflective areas will look black to the sensor - even if oily. If necessary, add a piece of reflective tape to the area you don't sandblast.

With mine I play with angle and distance untill I get a "reasonable" reading. Don

Back