Large Hole Drilling And Rotary Table Question

Why not learn to single point the threads on your lathe. It isn't that hard heck I learned . You will get much beter threads.

I learned to single point threads in 1965, LOL and you're absolutely right - it wasn't hard then nor is it hard now :) (I might dispute whether better threads result but I'll just leave that one alone for now, LOL ...)

Most of my applications require small threads like the one in the second photo above. That's a #6-32 thread and the threads run right up to a 1 inch diameter shoulder. That's somewhat of a challenge for single pointing - and other applications can be even harder, requiring threads as small as #0-80.

Would any of us really like to spend thirty minutes single-pointing that #6-32 thread at about .003 DOC (to prevent flexing the .136 diameter) when in fifteen seconds the threads can be chased and knowing that they will be within tolerance without even measuring ? Not me, no thanks :)

Large threads, no problem, in fact it often seems that most larger threads that I need to produce are of a size/pitch for which I have no die anyway, so single pointing is the only option. Large diameter threads don't have the deflection problems described above so the threads can sometimes be produced in three passes. Now we're talkin'

Randyc

I agree with you on smaller threads. But Threading barrels for flash hiders or cans would be better single pointed.

Back