Large dials for an Atlas mill

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I found the dials on my Atlas mill difficult to read. Besides being small, the engraving was weak. I had to use a magnifying glass and a flashlight.

There is a guy on eBay who sells engraved 6061 rounds. Each piece has engravings for three dials. I saw his eBay listing but thought the price was too high - until - I viewed the Tubal Cain video on making dials and saw how much of an effort it was for him. So I went ahead and purchased the engraved round. I cut the part into three dials, bored the IDs to fit the atlas, polished using a buffing wheel and compound, filled the engravings with a black lacquer stick, and added thumb screws. I made the stationary parts out of some scraps of 12L14. The dial for the X axis is going to be more difficult.

IMG_1153.JPG

Would you be able to post a link to that ebay listing that might be handy. nice job on the dials by the way!

Wow - those look great. I'd love to make a set for my Atlas 12x24. My aging eyes struggle with the original dials.

I may make a set for the Atlas if the weather ever lets up so it can be delivered.

I made large dials for my SB 9, I didn't find it too much work. A few hours to make 1. I had 200 lines on the dial, as I wanted to go to direct reading.
See http://imgur.com/a/bpq3M

Very nice work woochucker. Tubal Cain's method was similar to yours. Is 200 a common saw blade tooth count?

Back