Large Dial for Cross Slide

rogerl

Registered
Registered
I have a 11" south Bend lathe that I inherited from my dad. The lathe had the small 100 graduation dials on it for the cross slide and the compound. I never liked the small dials and as my eyes get older it is getting harder and harder to make those final .001 cuts so I decided to convert the dials to larger 200 graduation dials so that they would be easier to read and that I could get to diameter readings instead of radial readings. I read the posts on the forum about people making their own dials and I felt it to be a big task to scribe 200 lines on the dial. I started digging and found that you could buy 200 graduation dials from a Bridgeport for around $35.00. I bought a dial and converted it to my lathe. I made an adapter to go on the cross slide screw to adapt the lager dial. I then made a large disc to go on the back stationary part of the cross slide for the witness mark. I did not plan far enough ahead and when I went to put the cross slide handle back on the lathe the handle hit the dial. I needed to machine a little off the back of the handle to get the handle to clear the dial screw. If I had to do it over I would machine some off the back of the dial to push it back away from the handle.
I machined a few test parts and I really like the larger dials. below are some photos.

Attachments

• origional dial.jpg
    origional dial.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 62
  • dial parts.jpg
    dial parts.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 64
  • new dial 1.jpg
    new dial 1.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 70
  • new dial 2.jpg
    new dial 2.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 68
  • back of dial.jpg
    back of dial.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 67
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the tip Rogerl! Need to do this myself!!

Wow, those look fantastic!

I've considered doing the same thing to my SB 14½...

Nice job on your conversion!

-Bear

Nice! I have the large dials on my SB, but those BP dials would still be an upgrade. Larger diameter and satin chrome finish would be a major improvement in readability.

If the cross slide doesn't move as far as the dial, you can have a pretty large dial. Some lathes are limited in dial size because the cross slide and/or compound move over the dial area.

Nice upgrade!

Thanks for all the kind words and likes. I REALLY like the new dial. Now when I need to remove .007" I can move .007" not squint and move .0035" and hope I read it properly.

Roger L

Nice job! Yeah, I lucked out with my 9A - it came with the large dials. If it hadn't I'd be looking at a similar mod.

Back