Lapping head

Neil74

Active User
Registered
Hi I need to make a lapping head and arbor to fix my sons Sportster transmission. The ID of the bearing insert is 1.300, while I'm hunting a piece of cast iron big enough could I get away with using Bronze or maybe even 6061 aluminum just to get this job done and out of the way? just looking to make the lap head from Bronze or aluminum.

Thanks mumbles, Thats what I had in mind I was going to draw up a blue print from a v-twin photo and scale it off of the known 1.300 diameter. You've saved me some time:) I generally put the case on my mill and bring em to size but my son put his transmission together and forgot the outside thrust washer. One roller wound up in the gap of the c-clip, did a wonderfull job of welding his bearings to the shaft and race:)

Thanks for the photo mumbles, I made the arbor out of scrap bronze, and the lapping head out of scrap aluminum. I used a spare sportster trap door and piloted the shaft thru it using a variable speed drill to run it slow. Took all of ten minutes to lap the race to size, Sporty is up and running again:)
sportsterlappingarbor003.jpg
sportsterlappingarbor002.jpg
sportsterlappingarbor004.jpg

Thanks, I enjoy making my own tools. If I don't pay for them, I get paid to make it.

Back