lantern tool post rocker

Why would you want to use a lantern tool post when a quick change is so much better?

for one , price, for getting into tight places with small tools, lantern way mo better than quick change.

If you can draw me up a sketch of the radius with some dimensions I'll knock you out a couple if I have the material in my shop.

I hesitated for years to get an Aloris type tool holder. Since I have,I have never looked back. The Aloris type block adds a great deal of rigidity to your lathe. I have a smaller tool block on my Hardinge HLVH lathe,and would never want to be without it.

The block type tool holders have never stopped me from getting into tight places. I might just use a longer cutting tool if I had to have more reach.

Even many years ago,when I made a quick 2" square tool block for my Atlas lathe,I noticed at once the improved rigidity and smoother finishes it gave. I guess the cost held me back,but I got a used Aloris and a dozen tool holders for cheap.

The block style greatly improves the speed you can work at,if you are making some money on a job. I mean GREATLEY (sp?) faster.

Lathe makers supply their lathes with rocker type tool holders because THEY ARE CHEAP.

Even the CHEAPEST Chinese piston type tool block will be infinitely better than an old fashioned tool holder of the "lantern" type.

Last edited:
Back