Lang J6, new old lathe for a newbie

Jonathan86

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I was given a Lang J6 lathe for some work I did. From my research, I believe it was made in or around 1950, and I have the 12 speed model. I got a reproduction manual with parts list. It is a wonderfully heavy machine, with a profile like that of an aircraft carrier and weight to match.

I am not completely new to lathes. I worked for about 8 months in a machine shop, beginning with sweeping the floors and cleaning machines and ending with doing a lot of OD profiling on large pieces (4" OD up to my biggest, roughing out a 30"OD x 30" long piece of steel), and some threading, and boring as well. I learned to do tapered ACME threads, some double start threads, and some multi-section threads too (not sure of the actual term, but on a single piece there were two sections of threads of equal TPI but on different diameters, and their start points had to match up).

My machine tool experience is therefore with large oil country engine lathes, but limited to keeping them oiled and clean (and not getting hurt). I never had to trouble shoot any issues, or really have any instruction in how to evaluate the working order of a machine. An intro to machining class would be great to provide some basic knowledge base, but I can't take one at this time.

Back to the J6:
- The older gentleman who had this machine for 30 something years was 98 years old when he finally sold his machine shop, and I got the lathe. In his later years he may have neglected maintenance. I have removed buckets and buckets of chips and rancid oil/cutting fluid from the lathe. There are brass cuttings everywhere. I understand that he was beginning to have issues doing good work with the lathe, but I do not know what the issues were and how significant they were. Electric had already been removed when we got it, so I have not seen it run.
- We have a rotary phase converter here at the shop, that I hope will be able to power the lathe.
- My intent for the lathe is to use it for some personal gunsmithing work, as well as prototyping work for projects I come up with. I don't need it to put food on the table.
- However, I need to get the lathe cleaned up and powered so that I can begin to identify problems, and get an idea of what it will cost to fix them. I have no money in it, and machines are not made like this any more, so I am not afraid to spend some money over the course of a year or so to get it serviceable. Heck, it may need nothing but a good cleaning and new felts and oil. (Well, I know the threading dial gear is broken - so it does need that at least)

Now, on to the questions: Where do I start? :think1: I built a heavy wood skid for transport which it has been sitting on (indoors )for 8 months - I just have not had time to work on it. I have a 4" Starett machinist level, and I can detect twist in the bed - my ways are not in the same plane. Could this be just due to the skid, and it will return to level once properly set on a pad?

I will put up some pictures and update my progress as I get it placed and wired.

Thanks for your interest,

Jonathan

Hello,

I was given a Lang J6 lathe for some work I did. From my research, I believe it was made in or around 1950, and I have the 12 speed model. I got a reproduction manual with parts list. It is a wonderfully heavy machine, with a profile like that of an aircraft carrier and weight to match.

I am not completely new to lathes. I worked for about 8 months in a machine shop, beginning with sweeping the floors and cleaning machines and ending with doing a lot of OD profiling on large pieces (4" OD up to my biggest, roughing out a 30"OD x 30" long piece of steel), and some threading, and boring as well. I learned to do tapered ACME threads, some double start threads, and some multi-section threads too (not sure of the actual term, but on a single piece there were two sections of threads of equal TPI but on different diameters, and their start points had to match up).

My machine tool experience is therefore with large oil country engine lathes, but limited to keeping them oiled and clean (and not getting hurt). I never had to trouble shoot any issues, or really have any instruction in how to evaluate the working order of a machine. An intro to machining class would be great to provide some basic knowledge base, but I can't take one at this time.

Back to the J6:
- The older gentleman who had this machine for 30 something years was 98 years old when he finally sold his machine shop, and I got the lathe. In his later years he may have neglected maintenance. I have removed buckets and buckets of chips and rancid oil/cutting fluid from the lathe. There are brass cuttings everywhere. I understand that he was beginning to have issues doing good work with the lathe, but I do not know what the issues were and how significant they were. Electric had already been removed when we got it, so I have not seen it run.
- We have a rotary phase converter here at the shop, that I hope will be able to power the lathe.
- My intent for the lathe is to use it for some personal gunsmithing work, as well as prototyping work for projects I come up with. I don't need it to put food on the table.
- However, I need to get the lathe cleaned up and powered so that I can begin to identify problems, and get an idea of what it will cost to fix them. I have no money in it, and machines are not made like this any more, so I am not afraid to spend some money over the course of a year or so to get it serviceable. Heck, it may need nothing but a good cleaning and new felts and oil. (Well, I know the threading dial gear is broken - so it does need that at least)

Now, on to the questions: Where do I start? :think1: I built a heavy wood skid for transport which it has been sitting on (indoors )for 8 months - I just have not had time to work on it. I have a 4" Starett machinist level, and I can detect twist in the bed - my ways are not in the same plane. Could this be just due to the skid, and it will return to level once properly set on a pad?

I will put up some pictures and update my progress as I get it placed and wired.

Thanks for your interest,

Jonathan

Congratulations. Will be looking forward to progress pics. We love rebuild/restore pics ya know. :)

Hi guys,

Progress: I cut (6) 1" steel pads, 4"x5", to place the machine on.
Also, I got a stout recovery strap (5,000 lb WLL, and I will use in in a double basket configuration) to use to sling the J6 for placement. I will have some help this afternoon, and we will use a 10k lb telehandler to stick it on the pads where I want it. There are two sets of holes in the casting intended for passing bars through for slinging, so I cut some thick wall 2" steel tubing to pass through.

Hopefully we will have it in place this afternoon, and I can begin making adjustments to the leveling screws in an effort to bring the twist out of the ways. I have read that, while it may take some time, you can fix any twist problem not related to actual damage. We will see!

I'll try to get some pics up too.

QUESTION: Oil: the manual I have only has this to say about oil: 'It is recommended that Shell VITREA 41 or equivalent grade of oil should be used for all parts of the lathe.'
Initial research shows that this oil is no longer made, but it is an ISO 100 oil. If anybody has a recommendation for a readily obtainable equivalent, I would appreciate it!

Thanks

Hello,

I got the J6 sat in place where I intend to run it. I was sure to leave enough room to work on the back side of the lathe. A small Port-a-power can be a great help for fine tuning the position of the lathe. A 10,000 lb telehandler is even more help!

I need to find a few 12" machinist levels and start squaring these ways.

JonathanP1010688.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Another pic, showing the top of the saddle and taper attachmentP1010689.JPG

And the threads and feeds:
P1010690.JPG

P1010688.JPG P1010689.JPG P1010690.JPG

That's a nice looking lathe complete with a taper attachment. Do you have a tailstock for it?

Hi,
I do,.as well as a steady rest and following rest I believe. Also an Aloris CA qctp with 4 or 5 tool holders and boring bar holders! I will be working on it more tomorrow, and get some more pics up.
Jonathan

Jonathan,

I'm certainly no expert but I would get power to that lathe, level it up and take a cut on a test bar to find out what shape the machine is in to start with.

Feel the temps of the spindle bearings, look for surfaces that are dry and not getting oil. Run it through all of it's speeds and feeds and listen for any abnormal sounds. Keep notes and make a list of all you find, if it warrants a tear down you will have a guide on where to look closely.

You very well may wind up just giving it a good cleaning and oiling.

Good luck with it and don't forget to take many, many pictures. You will need them and we will like them.

That Lang Jr. will very well turn out to be a really nice piece. Congratulations. Is it a 13"?

I am not afraid to spend some money over the course of a year or so to get it serviceable.

I am not afraid to make my own parts over the course of a year or so to get it serviceable. Fixed that for you. :)

Jonathan,

I'm certainly no expert but I would get power to that lathe, level it up and take a cut on a test bar to find out what shape the machine is in to start with.

Feel the temps of the spindle bearings, look for surfaces that are dry and not getting oil. Run it through all of it's speeds and feeds and listen for any abnormal sounds. Keep notes and make a list of all you find, if it warrants a tear down you will have a guide on where to look closely.

You very well may wind up just giving it a good cleaning and oiling.

Good luck with it and don't forget to take many, many pictures. You will need them and we will like them.

Thank you for the advice. I hope to have it powered by Wednesday of this week. The spindle bearings worry me: By hand, I can shift the spindle about a visually noticeable amount.
10-4 on the point about lots of pictures!

That Lang Jr. will very well turn out to be a really nice piece. Congratulations. Is it a 13"?

I am not afraid to spend some money over the course of a year or so to get it serviceable.

I am not afraid to make my own parts over the course of a year or so to get it serviceable. Fixed that for you. :)

Thank you, yes it is a 13" (I understand Lang made a larger lathe with the same name, too).
Good point on making my own replacement parts! I do have access to a knee mill, and a smaller lathe, here at the shop, that should serve me well.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Back