• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Lagun Ftv-1

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

bjornsh67

Hi Ski,

You have done a great job with your Lagun! I have a similar machine - a Lagun FTV-1 with varidrive and feeder on X axis. I have made two simple videos of my varidrive. One is with low gear and one with high gear.

I notice some slight vibration in the head but have no indication that the main spindle is bad. I measure roughly 5 micrometer runout and from what I can judge they seem to be fine. I could use the stethoscope screwdriver method to investigate further - an interesting simple excersie.

The belt is slightly worn and it could be that I need to change them due to their age and stiffness.

If you have time, could you have a quick look at those videos and give me a comment based on your experience with the Lagun head?

Thanks,

http://www.jottacloud.com/p/bjornjotta/79245d960be24ae18a49e5bf573f5d8b

http://www.jottacloud.com/p/bjornjotta/b4adb54377c44ec690d55285e6fc6038

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hello ,I apologize for such a late response.Had a PC failure and have not checked in. Then I think I missed your post as well.That said,I listened to both and your machine sounds similar to mine. I would run the machine until it is warm and let the belt work. They may take a set after sitting unused but I think use brings them back. Run it through the speed range. If you can see a lot of worn belt dust and material in the housing ,I'd consider changing it then. I also have a slight vibration in this machine but considering belt drive,my guess it is normal. This is a new belt and new bearings. It has not seemed to cause any problem here but I have not done any serious work on it yet. Small projects here and there but par for the course since I am just a hobbyist. Where are you measuring run out? In the head? Or is this in the spindle measured at the r8 bore? Ski

bjornsh67

Hi Ski,

Thanks for the reply. I have all the original manuals that came along with the machine. In the instructions, it is recommended to run the variator from minimum speed to maximum speed as a daily mainenance.

The head has a slight vibration but it is not making any noise (other than the regular noise from a cold belt in the variator). It is some dust inside the variator but the belt appears to be in okay condition. The noise/whining comes from the belt and is reduced significantly after a few minutes .

The runout is quite low and there are no sloppiness in the spindle.

Unfortunatly, I have run out of space in my shop. I have a Thiel Index 159 and now a new cnc abene milling machine. I do not like the idea of selling the Lagun - but that could be an honest intepretation of the hard fact I have to deal with.

Bjorn

5 7